Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man  (Read 13347 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01172010

This was a great start to my Sunday.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 07:05:44 pm »

I could barely read this. It was just so awkward. It hurt me deep inside.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 07:11:59 pm »

I dunno, I've seen real-life stuff worse than this. Seems like he could have pushed the envelope a little more.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 07:28:57 pm »

Anyone who criticizes this is wrong. This is spot-on.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 08:02:31 pm »

Anyone who criticizes this is wrong. This is spot-on.

Agreed. Hence why it was so painful to read.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:25:33 pm »

I thought the YouTube commentary was a bit more cerebral than what I usually see.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 08:38:11 pm »

I'm on facebook far more often than on twitter or youtube?

But holy crap, he nailed facebook.

A lot of facebook is harmless fun but so much of it is a mechanism for false compliments and/or trying to keep a thin line on fuck*ng people you didn't get to fuck in high school or, to a lesser extent, college.

Oh man.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 09:51:01 pm »

This morning I achieved a perfect zen state on fuck*ng people I wanted to fuck in high school.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 09:56:11 pm »

What he gets is that Facebook is the place on the internet where there are the kind of people who we used to be able to avoid by going on the internet.

Also, that it is the place for people who are clueless about basic principles of online interaction like 'read what you are commenting on.'

I have to say though that this is not really a subject I particularly desire to read comics about.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 11:16:57 pm »

What wombat said.  Good strip, but where's the Achewood, huh?
Logged
ACHIEVE

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 11:20:20 pm »

What he gets is that Facebook is the place on the internet where there are the kind of people who we used to be able to avoid by going on the internet.

I'm not sure why people always say this.  There's an "Ignore" button for friend requests, or are people just that deathly afraid of offending people that they accept every friend request that comes their way?  If someone I had no time for in high school tries to friend me I just click "ignore" and go on my way.  It's not like they get a notification saying "Owen ____ has ignored your friend request!" 

And if you don't have all your privacy settings on maximum that's just asking for trouble.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 11:27:57 pm »

I cannot relate to anything you guys are saying. I loved high school, no one was a jerk to me, and I did not feel at all alienated. And I'm a huge nerd with OCD and bad parents, so I should have been a prime candidate for loner punching bag status. I wonder what went right.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 11:31:29 pm »

I loved high school, no one was a jerk to me, and I did not feel at all alienated.

Get off the internet.  Clearly you are supposed to be playing professional football somewhere.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 11:37:20 pm »

Get off the internet.  Clearly you are supposed to be playing professional football somewhere.

I can actually throw a perfect spiral. I'm not kidding.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 11:41:10 pm »

I'm not sure why people always say this.  There's an "Ignore" button for friend requests, or are people just that deathly afraid of offending people that they accept every friend request that comes their way?  If someone I had no time for in high school tries to friend me I just click "ignore" and go on my way.  It's not like they get a notification saying "Owen ____ has ignored your friend request!" 

And if you don't have all your privacy settings on maximum that's just asking for trouble.

It's just that you didn't used to have to even click a button to ignore these people. Merely being on the internet used to be enough. Now we have to do something to avoid them, just like in real life. Sure, you can cross the street and pretend you're talking on your cell phone and don't see them, but it was nicer when they were living in another state and it was just never an issue.

Interesting you bring up privacy settings because my experience is that the illusion of privacy on Facebook is what persuades some of those people to participate. But even if you trust Facebook that much, really - if you say something to a room filled with twenty or however many of your friends, you are so positive that none of them will ever repeat it? Someone was just telling me a story yesterday of how she noticed she'd been unfriended by person A, and person B told her "oh yeah, A just posted an update that said she'd unfriended all the bitches on her friends list."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up