There's something to be said for good narration. I'm a big fan of Film Noir, and a common trope of film noir is hard boiled narration, which I love.
Nowadays I think narration works best ironically, when used in comedies to counterpoint what you're seeing. The television show "Arrested Development"'s best jokes are often in Opie Cunningham's narration.
The one film I can think of that exists in a theatrical version and a director's cut that shows the film with and without narration is "Blade Runner" - try to find the theatrical cut, as the director's cut removes Harrison Ford's narration to the detriment of the film. If you've never been a fan of narration before you'll miss it in the director's cut.
Also, the DC had a crappy happy ending tacked on that sucked so very, very hard.
Speaking of shitty "director's cuts" - the new "Uncorked" edition of Wedding Crashers is SO MUCH like the theatrical version that the only thing I think was added was two extra two second shots of girls with their shirts/bras off. That's it. Whoo, that must've been too hot for theatres, huh?
fuck*ng marketing assholes.
I liked the movie, but not enough to watch it again on DVD just to see four seconds of titties.