Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: math help  (Read 3511 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
math help
« on: January 20, 2010, 02:43:23 pm »

5006=1000(1.01)12n

i cant remember how to get to the next step.  im solving for n.

(SFBL-sorry for being lame)
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: math help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 02:57:48 pm »

5006 = 1000(1.01)12 (1.01)n

5006/1000(1.01)12 = (1.01)n


Does that help?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: math help
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 03:12:22 pm »

frigg yeah.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: math help
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 01:21:33 am »

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: math help
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 02:45:31 am »

Yep.

5006 = 1000(1.01)12 (1.01)n would be the case if the original equation were 5006 = 1000(1.01)12+n

In this case you want 5006 = 1000((1.0112)n)

Which would be 5.006 = ~1.127n

I think.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: math help
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 04:01:41 am »

CCWW.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: math help
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 04:59:40 am »

Yep.

5006 = 1000(1.01)12 (1.01)n would be the case if the original equation were 5006 = 1000(1.01)12+n

In this case you want 5006 = 1000((1.0112)n)

Which would be 5.006 = ~1.127n

I think.

You guys are exactly right and I realized my error earlier this evening.  Sorry dude.  Wish I'd caught it before everybody else did.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Re: math help
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 05:01:17 am »

5006=1000(1.01)^(12n)

like... um

5006^(1/12)= 1000(1.01)^n   right?  something like that... I'm a tryn' to express 12 root or some such

(5006^(1/12))^(1/n)= 1000(1.01)

(whatever)^(1/n)= wutuvu       (too lazy to do the math on those.  who the fnck cares anyway ,right?

(whatever)^(1/n)= wutuvu      and then from here, it's something to do with that thing where recipricoals in exponentials can magically move to somewhere else if reciprocolated...  I forget the details exactly but if you're reading this then you probably know what I mean.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: math help
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 05:07:37 am »

You guys are exactly right and I realized my error earlier this evening.  Sorry dude.  Wish I'd caught it before everybody else did.

Ah, umm, yes. I hope I didn't make it seem like I was saying "that doesn't help because it is incorrect." What I meant to say is "NO WAY THAT SHIT'S INSANE, IT'S ALL CHING CHONG WING WONG"

I don't want to give the impression I would be able to to correct an error in a math problem. But good job Oball.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: math help
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 06:03:48 am »

To be fair I can't remember any of that stuff and I had to look up the exponent rules on Wikipedia.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: math help
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 06:06:51 am »

Shit, when I was in college we looked up our own half assed info on wikipedia.

and we liked it
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: math help
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 02:31:08 pm »

Shit, when I was in college we looked up our own half assed info on wikipedia.

and we liked it

Hell, when I was in college we just wrote a letter to Leibniz and asked him for crib notes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: math help
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 06:29:41 pm »

Hell, when I was in college we just wrote a letter to Leibniz and asked him for crib notes.

Hey, it worked for Newton.

jk, as it were.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.
Pages: [1]   Go Up