Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Are there any queers in the theater tonight?  (Read 10484 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 03:00:12 pm »

Mipples?

If that's not a word it should be.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 03:16:31 pm »

I dig both dudes and ladies but have never dated a lady long-term, mainly on account of how I fell in love with a man when I was fifteen and am still with him.

I had a few exploits during the occasional off-period, but nothing too intense to be sure. I generally like girls who tend towards butch, and I have been described as butch myself. I also tend to be attracted to men who aren't your typical heartthrob type. For instance, bears, twinks, and Steve Martin. I also think it's hot when two dudes kiss, but only if both of them are straight.

Brains, though - that's my major turn-on. If a person is smart and also funny, he need not even be corporeal: I have had many a crush on members of this board because they make me laugh and think in equal measure.

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 03:26:46 pm »

like 2 years ago i almost kissed this dude and then later I ran into him when i was not super-drunk, and he was all "i want to hug you a lot," and i was not into it anymore and felt uncomfortable.

i like the vagin a lot. you know?

we watched this movie yesterday where every actress had tiny mipples... what is pu with that preference. why is that what we/you/we want? areolas can be watever size exisgts, i like them regardess. yeah?

National Geographic nipples cross the line. Or should I say the border.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 03:28:22 pm »

Or perhaps the equator.
Logged

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 03:30:52 pm »

I also think it's hot when two dudes kiss, but only if both of them are straight.

woah.  that's like some a the same paradoxal stuff that I find in my experience.
Brains, though - that's my major turn-on. If a person is smart and also funny, he need not even be corporeal: I have had many a crush on members of this board because they make me laugh and think in equal measure.

No way!  Okay, check this out.  Is this guy attractive to you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbMMe8PS9tU

same montage, this time in Andy Warhol Marilyn Monroe colour scheme

Since this original thread is about homosexuality, the question is, is there an evolutionary advantage? It would seem there is one since, by its very definition, homosexuality would have bred itself out if it weren't tied to something else.

Careful...  If homosexuality expresses it's self as a side-effect of some other trait being expressed, this doesn't automatically mean that there is any evolutionary advantage whatsoever to homosexuality.  There might be an advantage to the other 'sibling' or 'linked' trait, but it's still a different trait or group of traits entirely.  I don't fault you for running with this idea which is peddled by evolutionary biology, but the theory of evolution, especially as it gets reduced down to the lay person's level, has issues.  Biology is at least one order of magnitude more complex than this theory accounts for.  I won't expound on that except I'll say that it's short sighted to assume that there's a reduced chance of homosexuals procreating.  That really needs to be quantified.  In so many, if not all cultures, to some degree or other, procreation is not 100% linked to sexual attraction.  Marriage and kids serve all sorts of functions in different cultures, and people get married and have kids for all sorts of reasons.  To say that in a given culture, much less all cultures, that homosexuals are less likely to procreate... that really needs to be quantified...  Even in cultures where homosexuality is an accepted thing in some way or other, (for instance I recall something about this in some native American tribe or other) and where there are non-procreating roles and unions for homosexuals, you're still gonna find some (many? most?) homosexuals who stick to the traditional roles and who procreate.  If we're gonna define a homosexual as someone who eschews cultural norms about marriage and does not get married or does not procreate, then what we're talking about measuring is some sort of end result of a very complex process, only part of which is biological, in which case it's really ridiculous to talk about evolutionary advantage in a strictly biological sense... If you're gonna talk about evolutionary advantage, you have to do so in the concurrent contexts of biological evolution and cultural evolution... these are two different environments... there is some overlap between the mechanisms in these, in that expression of DNA (which it's self is highly affected by environment) can and does ultimately affect how the brain processes information (culture,) but I would say that these two *concurrent* evolutionary mechanisms are more different than similar (ideas evolving in cultural environments vs. genes evolving in biological environments.)  Further, homosexuality may be a single end result which can be arrived at via any one of many different combination of traits, some of those combinations involving biological traits, some not. 

disclaimer:  I have no idea what my point is any more at this point, so I may contradict it in the following:

Um.. so anyway, my guess is that homosexuals are like, just kinda a normal variation on the spectrum... on one end you have super feminine or super masculine, and on the other end, super butch or super twink.  If we didn't have diversity on the spectrum, then, the whole spectrum would red or blue shift one direction or the other, and get all lopsided. 


Since this original thread is about homosexuality, the question is, is there an evolutionary advantage? It would seem there is one since, by its very definition, homosexuality would have bred itself out if it weren't tied to something else.

okay... it might be tied to *everything* else, or at least, a whole plethora of other traits.

So...  I guess, we could say that homosexuality is simply any location on the spectrum that's left of center.  And I guess, you could be left of center in some of your traits and right of center in other of your traits.

The person who's smack dab in the middle, who has the least amount of statistical variation in all of it's traits... that's got to be a boring person.  Give me someone who is three standard deviations away from center, on both ends of the spectrum simultaneously.  And a goat.  Now that's cookin' with fire!  Rawrrrr!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 04:21:10 pm by Thomas Pain »
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 04:06:48 pm »


No way!  Okay, check this out.  Is this guy attractive to you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbMMe8PS9tU

same montage, this time in Andy Warhol Marilyn Monroe colour scheme

Funny, yes. Attractive, no. Rowan Atkinson may be a smart guy, but Mr. Bean is an idiot, and therefore gross.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiht0XK6NP8

Hott or not? You decide.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 05:07:49 pm »

I think I read somewhere that, like grandparents, non-breeding adults increase the fitness of kin (and therefore positive selection of related traits) and that may contribute to the persistence of any "gay genes" in a population.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 07:55:16 pm »

same montage, this time in Andy Warhol Marilyn Monroe colour scheme

Just shows that anyone looks like an amazingly fluent dancer when you can't see their face. The four panel bit is an iPod advert waiting to happen
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 07:19:00 am »

I'd say homosexuality ties seamlessly into the idea of evolution.  Think of it this way: the human sex chromosomes are labeled X and Y, females have double X and males an X and a Y (some other species have similar sex-determination systems).  This three to one ratio suggests that the Y chromosome (ultimately the concept of male-ness) was a mutation from homogeneous sea of X's.  There had to have been a period in the primordial ooze when technically every entity was female and the concept of sexual reproduction was an adaptation that emerged from that.

Since they started using advanced tools humans have been devolving; there is no reason to think any trait could have been removed from the gene pool in the past 4000 years.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 08:54:51 am »

just because a trait is hardwired in a person's genes doesn't mean it got that way because of any evolutionary advantage that has anything to do with that trait.  Evolution and natural selection is supposed to explain everything about life, but it simply doesn't.  It's a hackneyed incomplete theory.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 03:03:07 pm »

I have heard the theory that gayness is one of the more common genetic mutations, like left-handedness or color-blindness. 

Can we go back to talking about hot dudes and ladies now?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 06:36:42 pm »

Evolution and natural selection is supposed to explain everything about life,

No.  No it isn't.  This is a highly flawed premise.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2010, 05:30:33 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiht0XK6NP8

Hott or not? You decide.

Not. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Giles and all, but that wasn't sexy.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 05:54:14 am »

No.  No it isn't.  This is a highly flawed premise.

I... um...  I...   AW, in the first instance you are being difficult.  (I believe that's the British English equivalent of "in the first place" and I believe that it may be generally more polite and proper than the equivalent "in the first place.")

Not. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Giles and all, but that wasn't sexy.

yeah... that dude isn't my type.  He comes across as kinda straight.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2010, 04:12:47 pm »


yeah... that dude isn't my type.  He comes across as kinda straight.


Well...yeah. That's kind of the point, what with me being female and all -- it's nice to feel like I might have a chance.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up