Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: the breakfast thread  (Read 7194 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
the breakfast thread
« on: January 24, 2010, 07:59:56 am »

what do you eat for breakfast?

i gave up fried eggs for new year's or something and we've been having fruit salad and english muffins for breakfast lately. papaya, pineapple, and blueberries go very well together.

i've been trying to cut back on coffee but it's tougher than i thought it would be.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 08:11:34 am »

To be honest, at best, I'll do like Cream of Wheat or something. At best.

Unless someone else makes it for me, like, as a treat.

I am useless in the morning for anything other than putting on clothes and driving toward work.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:00:42 am »

I've been into museli a lot lately, toasted kind generally since I don't have milk with my cereal and untoasted museli is like a shamwow to my saliva. If I'm in a hurry though I'll generally grab a piece of fruit once I get to uni, apples or bananas generally.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:15:46 am »

Weetabix or Bovril on toast when I'm a student, Crunchy Nut cornflakes at home
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 02:13:52 pm »

This makes me rethink my normal breakfast of black coffee and filiform papillae. I think I may go eat a grapefruit.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 02:48:33 pm »

During the week it's generally either oatmeal or cereal.  I try to have oatmeal three days a week in an effort to battle the ol' cholesterol.

Sometimes on Fridays I will permit myself to stop at Chic-Fil-A or elsewhere on the way to work for something tasty but relatively unhealthy. I loves me some breakfast burritos.  I try to avoid that, but I get sucked back in.

I usually cook something up proper at least one day on the weekend.  Just this morning, in fact, I made scrambled eggs, and a hash from last night's leftover roast beef, with potatoes, onions, red bell pepper, and a bit of mushrooms.  Them's good eatin', and I won't be hungry at lunch time.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 04:57:25 pm »

Slim-fast in a can, chugged as quickly as possible between shouts of "Don't touch that" and "Stop climbing there."

Every. Single. Morning.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 05:50:17 pm »

Slim-fast in a can, chugged as quickly as possible between shouts of "Don't touch that" and "Stop climbing there."

Every. Single. Morning.

thats the american dream.

my breffasts:

not everyday, but when i do eat in the morning, i have a fruit or maybe if there are some yummy leftovers in the fridge.  i like cereal, but i dont feel like eating it anymore.  on the weekend, i get up late and have scrambled eggs.  i like to add onion, garlic, and cheese.  then i have it with salsa and some warm tortillas.

and another thing:

slimfast is a cheaper supplement for weightlifting/fitness purposes that is way cheaper than protein powder.  it has everything thats in that giant can and you can avoid the douche at GNC trying to upsell you.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 06:28:26 pm »

If I eat breakfast, it's usually a granola bar or two.  Or a handful of dry cereal out of the box on the way to work.  But 80% of the time I don't eat breakfast.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 06:28:44 pm »

I sleep too late to each breakfast. Sometimes I keep a box of frosted mini wheats in my desk at work which I then eat dry.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 06:45:04 pm »

I have a thyroid condition and sleep late, which means that when I finally do get up, my thyroid meds have to sit in an empty stomach for an hour at least. When I get to work, I make myself a huge mug of green tea thanks to my electric kettle and water filter. At the appointed time, if I'm not swamped with work, I have a mini fridge at work stocked with yogurt and apples. I buy the high-protein granola and sometimes mix that in the yogurt.

I love a proper breakfast though. Eggs scrambled hard, crispy home fries, maybe some coffee. I love coffee, but can only have it like once a month, max. A Creole breakfast with chicory coffee, though, that's the best.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 10:28:10 pm »

Prevacid and a glass of water.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 10:29:56 pm »

Prevacid and a glass of water.

your birth certificate is showing [[wink]]
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 11:09:07 pm »

my girlfriend's mother called me "all american" for drinking a huge glass of whole milk for breakfast. I normally don't eat until lunch, though. When I eat breakfast food, it is as a late-night snack.

yesterday we made pigs in a blanket at 4 PM and called it breakfast. that was nice.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 11:52:26 pm »

Slim-fast in a can, chugged as quickly as possible between shouts of "Don't touch that" and "Stop climbing there."

I used to chug something similar for breakfast at the train station on the way to uni when I lived further out, 'Up and Go' breakfast in a... not sure what you'd call them actually. We say 'poppas', one of these:

Same thing every day, by the end I could taste the individual grains of suspended pseudo-food. Ech. Fruit is better, just as portable and convenient but much more satisfying.

I've never done the hot breakfast thing regularly, I don't think a lot of people do here beyond bacon and eggs once in a while, but that's usually more of a treat (for me at least) than a normal breakfast option. I actually started feeling a bit sick at the idea of breakfast when I was travelling in asia because the breakfast options were almost always hot and fatty which is just not what I'm used to. Though when we slept in and had 'lunch' at 10:30 instead I didn't care so I guess it's mainly psychological.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:56:39 pm by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up