Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: the breakfast thread  (Read 7190 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 11:58:22 pm »

i used to chug slim-fast, after my carnation instant breakfast phase you're gonna love it in an instant

then i switched to oj + english muffin. toaster, closet, toaster, fridge, sink, toaster, door.

telecommuting with off hours is a strange experience, but i know i'm lucky to get breakfast at the kitchen table.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 11:58:50 pm »

I know in England they think they are eating lamb.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 03:17:31 pm »

Wow, this thread is like Facebook, but even more boring.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 04:00:23 pm »

:(
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 05:44:58 pm »

good breakfast, late lunch, light dinner. snacking is becoming a thing of the past, which is almost a shame because i really like cookies. and doritos.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 12:57:43 am »

Wow, this thread is like Facebook, but even more boring.

you can make it better, or make it worse.

when i had a job(physically laborious) i had a good small breakfast, a snack at 10(break), lunch at 12, and then another snack when i got home around 3:45.  all that movin' and shakin' used up all my caloric input.  now that im a 'displaced worker' and a student(night classes), i dont get up as early and i dont use as many calories in my day-to-day activities.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 06:35:50 am »

I try not to gloat too much, but my workplace provides all manner of cereals, milk, juice, breads & spreads (plus coffee or tea) for no cost.  If I want to fry an egg or cook up some bacon I'm out of luck, but for standard carb-heavy brekkie stuff I'm set.  I spend my early mornings making breakfast for the family though - usually toast/bagel or sometimes an egg&cheese sandwich if they're in luck.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 01:36:38 pm »

Breakfast is the most annoying meal of the day. I have never been able to come up with a long term solution. Last night while doing the shopping I just gave up on even trying to have healthy breakfasts this week and bought this big cherry cream cheese danish/coffeecake sort of thing at Whole Foods. If you buy it at Whole Foods it must be healthy, right.... ugh. Now I feel kind of queasy. I guess I have learned my lesson.

On the weekends, though, usually on one day we make popovers or buttermilk pancakes with pecans. With that New Orleans coffee. Now that's nice.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 03:03:22 pm »

I try not to gloat too much, but my workplace provides all manner of cereals, milk, juice, breads & spreads (plus coffee or tea) for no cost.  If I want to fry an egg or cook up some bacon I'm out of luck, but for standard carb-heavy brekkie stuff I'm set.  I spend my early mornings making breakfast for the family though - usually toast/bagel or sometimes an egg&cheese sandwich if they're in luck.

Pedro's office does this, too. Also, he can buy egg-and-cheese muffins and biscuits in the cafe in his building until 9, or he can go two buildings over and get a full-on breakfast buffet.

But then, when you're employed by Fortune's #1 Best Company to Work For,* it just comes with the territory.


(*note to Fortune copywriters: do you think it is rad to end a sentence with a preposition?)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 03:13:55 pm »

do you think it is rad to end a sentence with a preposition?)

I DO.

Don't get me started. I am currently dealing with a copyeditor who thinks that all instances of "like" should be replaced by "as if," and that a narrator who speaks throughout a book in a colloquial style would use the words "nor" and "whom." WHOM. I am enjoying speaking ENGLISH, please, so LEAVE THE LANGUAGE THE FUCK ALONE.

I'd say that maybe I'd be able to deal with this more cheerfully if I'd had a decent breakfast, but it was just as annoying last night.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 03:23:56 pm »

Ending sentences with prepositions is fucked up.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 03:32:43 pm »

I DO.

Don't get me started. I am currently dealing with a copyeditor who thinks that all instances of "like" should be replaced by "as if," and that a narrator who speaks throughout a book in a colloquial style would use the words "nor" and "whom." WHOM. I am enjoying speaking ENGLISH, please, so LEAVE THE LANGUAGE THE FUCK ALONE.

I'd say that maybe I'd be able to deal with this more cheerfully if I'd had a decent breakfast, but it was just as annoying last night.

I respect the fact that spoken language, fiction and colloquial text (message board posting, blogging, etc) does not need to follow the same, often excessively formal-sounding rules as nonfiction. But I do think that journalists at well-known national periodicals should conform to a higher standard of grammatical rigorousness.

That's probably just me, tho.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 03:36:28 pm »

You really think that "Fortune's Best Company For Which To Work" sounds better?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 04:03:56 pm »

You really think that "Fortune's Best Company For Which To Work" sounds better?


Fortune's Big List of Kick-Ass Places to Work, Bitches
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: the breakfast thread
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 04:07:57 pm »

Fortune's Big List of Kick-Ass Places to Work, Bitches

Yeah, see?

I would have suggested "Fortune's 100 Most Employee-Friendly Workplaces," but Cort's is much better.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up