Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Birthday Wishes  (Read 14544 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Birthday Wishes
« on: January 25, 2010, 02:54:57 am »

So, I have a birthday coming up, and my spouse tells me that my wish list, in his words, "sucks." It contains nine items, including a couple of aprons, an art print, and some knitting paraphernalia. Also a gift card to a local day spa. Those of you who know my real name can look it up on Amazon.com.

So what do I want? You guys probably know me as well as anyone, and I'm certain you all have some ideas for quirky, fun, or useful items that would suit me. So bring 'em on.

I'm looking for 5 - 10 items in the $10 - $50 price range that my brother, parents, and in-laws will understand and be able to either find locally at a big-box store or purchase online without too much difficulty. Bonus points for practicality and good design.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 04:30:46 am »

t-shirts:

nerd fetish
i gave my word
we built this city
i choo choo choose you

if you think silly t-shirts are juvenile and lame, thats ok.

yarn holder
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 05:43:58 am »

the idea of needing to be able to find gifts your relatives will "understand" gets hell of canned.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 01:53:02 pm »

the idea of needing to be able to find gifts your relatives will "understand" gets hell of canned.

My ex's mom said the NewsRadio DVDs were the greatest thing ever created. Simply because they were the only item on my wishlist she had ever heard of. Every other thing she bought she had no idea what she was ordering and just hoped whatever arrived was the right thing.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 01:57:12 pm »

My ex's mom said the NewsRadio DVDs were the greatest thing ever created. Simply because they were the only item on my wishlist she had ever heard of.

That and the whole "Funniest Sitcom in the last 20 years" thing.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 02:31:11 pm »

That and the whole "Funniest Sitcom in the last 20 years" thing.

Not that I'm arguing but have you seen Spaced w/ Simon Pegg? If you liked NR you should really enjoy this, also.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 03:54:47 pm »

i loved spaced and never really enjoyed newsradio for more than a couple minutes of phil hartman. andy dick just washed all the goodtimes away, and dave foley was the opposite of charismatic.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 04:10:18 pm »

and dave foley was the opposite of charismatic.

You shut your whore ass mouth
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 04:24:56 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 04:55:06 pm »

hey hey now back off fellas, i liked dave when he was a kid in a hall. i just wasn't amused by him on newsradio. or anything else he's done since the kids split up.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 05:28:00 pm »

hey hey now back off fellas, i liked dave when he was a kid in a hall. i just wasn't amused by him on newsradio. or anything else he's done since the kids split up.

About 3 years ago I was playing a game with some friends, boys vs. girls. The game posed a question and the person who was it had to figure out which answer corresponded with which player. One question was "Which TV character are you most like?" or something to that effect. All 4 guys playing answered "Dave from NewsRadio"
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 05:31:17 pm »

I cannot watch News Radio because I despise Andy Dick with a violent passion. I watched it a little when it was on, and it was OK, but now I just get sad whenever I see Phil Hartman.

Also, I have a lot of television to watch via Netflix, and I already have all 7 seasons of Buffy and all 5 seasons of Quantum Leap. So I think TV on DVD is sort of out.

Mom's just offered to finish our bathroom renovations (on hold due to money issues) for my birthday, so that might solve one problem if Pedro will let me tear up the bathroom again so soon.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 07:44:46 pm »

A customised balaclava/scarf/necktie/bandana/handkerchief?

Yes please I hear you say!

http://www.buffwear.co.uk/pages/customized.php

http://www.buffwear.co.uk/pages/product-info/ways-to-wear.php Watch the 'Original' Buff video to see if it's any use
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 02:37:17 pm »

I would just ask for Judy, gift-wrapped, but something tells me my in-laws wouldn't approve.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 07:58:38 pm »

I would just ask for Judy, gift-wrapped, but something tells me my in-laws wouldn't approve.

dont ask them.  ask someone more accommodating.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up