Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Birthday Wishes  (Read 14508 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 09:28:37 pm »

Secret Santa?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 10:00:53 pm »

Secret Santa?

if you cant wait until next Christmas, start dropping hints for Mothers Day.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 05:42:32 pm »

I would just ask for Judy, gift-wrapped, but something tells me my in-laws wouldn't approve.

Don't worry love. I'll come for free  ;)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 08:04:52 pm »

*blush*
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 05:26:18 pm »

So, sister-in-law settled on a spa gift card, and parents are probably going to give us money and labor towards finishing the bathroom remodel. In-laws are still a wild card, but I can always ask for knitting books. BFF has a Plan in Motion, apparently, and nobody else buys me stuff, which suits me fine.

Pedro, however, has given me an option: He was initially planning on taking me to a hockey game, but now is considering a Led Zeppelin tribute concert. Has anyone ever been to a tribute band show?

Zep is my favorite band ever, but being too young to have ever seen them for reals, I'm wondering if this kind of thing is worthwhile, or what. I can literally count on one hand the number of concerts I've been to in my life, so I'm hoping you experienced concert goers and music aficionados can help me out here. The specific band is "Get the Led Out," if that matters.

Thoughts?

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 06:08:31 pm »

A friend was just telling me about when she saw Lez Zeppelin. She wasn't impressed.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 08:09:47 pm »

i saw a beatles tribute band last fall, decent show, wouldn't bother again.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 08:19:45 pm »

A friend was just telling me about when she saw Lez Zeppelin. She wasn't impressed.

Here in the Twin Cities we have both "Zed Leppelin" and "Dread Zeppelin," and they rawk. 
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 08:35:25 pm »

Here in the Twin Cities we have both "Zed Leppelin" and "Dread Zeppelin," and they rawk. 

Yes, but are they all-female?
Logged

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 08:39:52 pm »

Yes, but are they all-female?

Sadly, no.  :(
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 08:57:52 pm »

Here in the Twin Cities we have both "Zed Leppelin" and "Dread Zeppelin," and they rawk. 

And they come from the land of the ice and snow!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 09:49:16 pm »

And they come from the land of the ice and snow!

Is that anywhere near the land of wind and ghosts? Is it easily commutable?
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 01:13:58 am »

I saw this Zeppelin tribute act back in '95-ish. Meh.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 01:31:21 am »

A friend was just telling me about when she saw Lez Zeppelin. She wasn't impressed.

I wonder if this was when my friend was with them?  She only sang for them about 6 months.

Pedro, however, has given me an option: He was initially planning on taking me to a hockey game, but now is considering a Led Zeppelin tribute concert. Has anyone ever been to a tribute band show?

Zep is my favorite band ever, but being too young to have ever seen them for reals, I'm wondering if this kind of thing is worthwhile, or what. I can literally count on one hand the number of concerts I've been to in my life, so I'm hoping you experienced concert goers and music aficionados can help me out here. The specific band is "Get the Led Out," if that matters.

Thoughts?

Personally I would probably pass on this particular Led Zeppelin tribute band for a couple of reasons.  I think a tribute band should strive to recreate the concert experience of the band they are paying tribute to.  This band fails in that regard.

Zep is tricky for a band to cover because they played their songs radically different on stage.  This band has obviously chosen to go the sound exactly like the studio recordings route.  To this end they've added a 2nd guitarist and a keyboard player.  Beyond that they don't look much like Zep and their stage mannerisms aren't very Zeplike either. 

But if seeing a band doing letter perfect covers of Zep tunes sounds good to you then by all means this band can definitely do that.

I saw this Zeppelin tribute act back in '95-ish. Meh.

Ha!  I had tickets to see this Zep cover band, but it canceled at the last minute because the lead guitarist had back pains.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 01:37:25 am »

I think a tribute band should strive to recreate the concert experience of the band they are paying tribute to.  This band fails in that regard.

I dunno. Their haircuts seem bad enough.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up