Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Birthday Wishes  (Read 14535 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2010, 11:52:17 pm »

Cover bands ate my birthday gift brainstorming thread.

Screw all y'all, I think I'm just gonna go to the day spa and see if that hot German chick is free for another hot stone massage.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2010, 12:03:28 am »

I mean, sometimes people judge whether they will like something based on previous experiences.

Going to that event sober sounds... pretty horrible. I often dislike things like that even when I am not sober.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2010, 12:10:18 am »

My favorite cover and of all time is Sapphire Bullets. They are the wasps' nipples, you guys.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2010, 12:16:07 am »

Yeah I think that is what he meant to say, it's just that he specifically said he didn't like that event and then said he'd never been. It just weirded me out.

Screw all y'all, I think I'm just gonna go to the day spa and see if that hot German chick is free for another hot stone massage.

See, you don't need our help.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2010, 02:37:13 am »

I'm not saying that I wouldn't go see a cover band. At all. I would totally see some iterations of cover bands.

I'm just saying... I would not be interested in an attempt at an orthodox recreation of the original experience if the original experience no longer exists.

I'd rather hear someone take their own unique stab at it and not go chasing the idea of an authentic recreation of an irreproducable experience.

Just me. No judgements of how other peoples' mileages mary vary.

ALSO:

jayelle, would it make it MORE or LESS hot if the German lady were to know that you also like ladies?

I could see that cutting two ways.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2010, 02:48:10 am »

What is an acceptable percentage of cover content before you can no longer allow yourself to enjoy the concert?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 03:16:58 am »


jayelle, would it make it MORE or LESS hot if the German lady were to know that you also like ladies?

I could see that cutting two ways.

Depends. If she is also also into ladies, it's a plus. If not, then it's just weird and uncomfortable.

No, wait, scratch that. I think it's weird and uncomfortable either way, because I am married and she is a professional.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2010, 03:25:34 am »

I've only ever seen a cover band once, and it was a Genesis cover band - they're called The Musical Box, and they didn't merely perform Genesis songs, they recreated the original "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" stage show, to the extent that they actually tracked down the location of the original slides that Genesis used when they performed that album live, and used them in the show. It was great fun. Also, I read a review where Peter Gabriel basically gave them his endorsement.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2010, 03:27:27 am »

Yeah but... just run with me here...

If she DOESN'T know and you're getting more out of it than she understands...

Isn't that totally naughty and forbidden fruit and stuff?

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2010, 03:39:36 am »

hot German chick is free for another hot stone massage.

I've had only one professional massage, and it was give by an Icelandic lady, who was decidedly not hot. But damn, it was a good massage. Also, she knows Bjork.

Yeah but... just run with me here...

If she DOESN'T know and you're getting more out of it than she understands...

Isn't that totally naughty and forbidden fruit and stuff?

For like an entire minute I was trying to figure out how this was a reply to VW's post. I was like trying to figure out what kind of metaphor you were going for and wondering why you were referring to Peter Gabriel as "she" and I was just lost.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2010, 04:00:44 am »

The only "she" I could possibly apply analogistically to Peter Gabriel is the frightening woman-scorned activity he will unleash some day on Phil Collins, when he least expects it, for usurping Genesis and turning it into soft-rock by the end of the run. He has been waiting for decades, just to make the vengeance all the sweeter.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2010, 06:26:56 am »

unfortunately for peter gabriel, while he waited and plotted, he fell victim to the same soft-rock fate as phil collins
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2010, 08:04:30 am »

It's kind like getting the main bad guy's ring in that movie with Dildo Baggins.

You think that by defeating the villain you can take his power and do some good with it but, pretty soon, the power makes you at least as bad as the old boss.

Similarly: two-party political systems.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2010, 08:18:15 am »

I think we're using the term cover band when we mean to say tribute band.  Tribute bands are a relatively new phenomenon.  Cover bands have been around forever.

Once I saw a Janis Joplin tribute band.  It kinda worked because "Janis" was in her middle to late thirties, way older than the real Janis when she died, and was a little bit out of shape.  Of course she didn't have quite the voice of Janis either.  I imagined that this was what had become of Janis Joplin by the late 70s, her days of headlining festivals far behind her, fat and over the hill playing in a seedy club, for the couple of hundred people that hadn't forgotten about her, a good 10-15 years before her all star revival ala Chuck Berry or Roy Orbison.  So it worked for me, because I was able to create that scenario in my mind and believe that this was what it might be like to experience that.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2010, 01:49:22 pm »

I've had only one professional massage, and it was give by an Icelandic lady, who was decidedly not hot. But damn, it was a good massage. Also, she knows Bjork.

Everyone knows everyone in Iceland. I am not kidding
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up