Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Birthday Wishes  (Read 14530 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2010, 10:22:09 pm »

I saw The Machine, a Floyd cover band a few weeks back, but they could never compare to The Musical Box, the only licensed Genesis cover group who recreate original shows to the T.

But The Machine show was annoying because I ended up having to carry my friend out of there.  Fuckin' idiot, I hate that shit.  It was at Brooklyn Bowl which is like the coolest concept ever.  They have some pretty decent shows there and Questlove is the house DJ.
Logged
ACHIEVE

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2010, 10:41:25 pm »

I have never actually attended a show of a full-on only-one-band cover band before, actually.

But at one of the more humiliating jobs I had, the nebbishy trainer's weekend gig was as the bassist in a Floyd cover band called "Crazy Diamond" and this is a detail that has always stuck with me.

The idea of a dude getting through his horrible job as a trainer at a T-Mobile call centre by looking forward to the weekend when he can play bass in a cover band in dive bars in, like, Rome or Syracuse... it just stuck with me.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2010, 11:01:46 pm »

(T)hey could never compare to The Musical Box, the only licensed Genesis cover group who recreate original shows to the T.

Is that the one that Peter Gabriel took his kid to see? The one where he told the kid "that's what Dad used to do"?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2010, 11:22:48 pm »

Probably the most famous tribute band would be that one that not only does songs only by Grateful Dead, but recreates their most famous shows note for note.  Rusty Weir and a couple of the other dead guys actually hired the guitar player for their new group.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Birthday Wishes
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2010, 01:43:21 am »

I saw The Machine, a Floyd cover band a few weeks back

Good christ, they're still together?  I saw them in college.

(Not what I'd normally go see, but it was a free show on the quad, so what the hell.  I'm pretty sure we were all drunk.)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up