Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Celebratory Food Stuffs  (Read 4212 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Celebratory Food Stuffs
« on: January 27, 2010, 02:09:29 pm »

What foods do you eat to celebrate special occasions?  Are there things that you only eat on special occasions and rarely on a regular day? 

There's several foods that fall into the traditional and cultural practices of my life, that I deeply enjoy perhaps more because of their specialness and the fact I don't eat them every day.  Roasted Turkey (with mashed potatoes, dressing and gravy), Nachos (ideally with beer), Indian Food (from this one place I always go on special occasions) and sushi (although I love sushi so much that I eat it far more often than the other items noted).  Lobster is also on the list. So is BBQ'ed whole salmon, although that's more related to seasonal availability of good low cost salmon at certain times of the year.  There's also this baking thing, my god mother called them French Fancies - they were these dainties she went to huge amounts of effort and time to make them, and they were so incredible.  Also, I make rad cupcakes, and it's always a celebratory feeling to make, eat and give away cupcakes. 

What about you folk?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:47:24 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 07:48:21 pm »

sometimes a man has to have a chicken fried steak with white gravy and seasoned home fries and biscuits.

fuck yes!

also, my mom always makes me 5trawberry shortcake for my birthday.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 12:35:33 am »

My birthday dinner:

I'm a real meat-and-potatoes girl. Beef tips with gravy, simmered slow all day; real homemade mashed potatoes with heavy cream and all that jazz; egg noodles cooked in beef broth and tossed with melted butter, served over the potatoes and eaten devoured with a spoon.

The spoon is very important; it's a throwback to eating this meal when I was a little kid. Mom makes it once a year, now that we're all carb/fat/calorie conscious.

Traditionally, we eat until we hate ourselves and then slip into diabetic comas. It's a lot like Thanksgiving.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:51:59 am »

Damn. Now that's a meal. And also a diabetic nightmare. Egg noodles over mashed potatoes? Genius!

On the occasions that I'm back home or with family on my birthday, I'm always asked what I want, but the truth is any home cooked meal is celebratory because I never do that for myself. The last cooking I did at home was hard boiled eggs.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 01:25:05 am »

This thread has made me realize that I ought to have more celebrations with cake and ice cream. I can't remember the last time I ate both together, and that is a shame.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 03:51:30 am »

the traditional birthday meal at my house is home-made tortillas with pork loin, and my mom's awesome salsa. yeahhh.

my mom also makes a really good chocolate cake.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 04:40:38 am »

My wife took a cake-decorating class, and now she makes some kick-ass cakes for birthdays and such.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigfool/tags/cake/
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 04:55:54 am »

Sometimes a man has to have a chicken fried steak with white gravy and seasoned home fries and biscuits. I get that maybe once a year. Some McIlhenny's Tabasco is required.

Coincidentally, last night I celebrated my end of employment from a horrible job I hated via Nachos (with two kinds of cheese), and across from me, the husband ordered chicken fried steak with white gravy.  The restaurant calls it "country fried steak" which is an odd thing that often occurs in Canada with chicken fried steak for some reason.  Also, the menu didn't warn that the meal actually included TWO steaks. The husband was full to the point of ill, and left half a steak behind.  The nachos were also a huge serving size.

Today, I had a fantastic sushi lunch with my sister (also to celebrate the end of the accursed job). 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 06:24:01 am »

it's called country fried steak on that menu because that's the real name for it, at least down here where it comes from.

gravy on peas on noodles on mashed potatoes was a thing (not a Thing) at our house growing up. plus corn and bread. this was weekly at least. when i behaved we would get what we called "creamed chicken and biscuits" which was like biscuits and gravy but the gravy was thin and with chicken. corn or boiled carrots on the side.

nowadays i try to leave the carbs and calories for the celebratory occasions. prime rib and yorkshire pudding this past christmas. it isn't trimming my waistline, but at least i've stabilized.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 04:49:16 am »

the husband ordered chicken fried steak with white gravy.  The restaurant calls it "country fried steak" which is an odd thing that often occurs in Canada with chicken fried steak for some reason.

You see that in the states sometimes too.  I think that's a modern day variant.  My guess is they fear the chicken in the name may be too confusing to some folks.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 04:52:21 am »

"Wait, is it chicken...or steak?  I'm a vegan, you see."
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 05:04:30 am »

To celebrate my girlfriend's birthday and the final closing of the mess that was her grandfather's estate, we did all you can eat sushi.

She loves the hell out of sushi, lemme tell you.

And I hate seafood but love the general use of spices in Japanese cooking so, like, the sushi chef assumed I was a vegetarian.

Which would not be further from the truth but for the purposes of sushi is kinda valid.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 07:58:58 am »

"Wait, is it chicken...or steak?  I'm a vegan, you see."

It's steak that's fried like chicken.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 05:00:08 pm »

It's steak that's fried like chicken.
Ya.  I was being a modern, confused consumer.  For laffs.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 06:19:41 pm »

Ya.  I was being a modern, confused consumer.  For laffs.

Oh sorry.  I guess now the chicken fried egg is on my face.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up