Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: well, in MY day.......  (Read 9714 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
well, in MY day.......
« on: January 27, 2010, 02:49:03 pm »

@achewood We're talking about what books the young one should have next. I have declared today Robert Newton Peck day.

with that being said, what were your favorite books from childhood?

mines:







Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 02:53:27 pm »

Why did you post this twice?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 03:04:16 pm »

Why did you post this twice?

firefox threw a fit and it must have posted the first time i tried... sorry.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 03:44:16 pm »

Richard Scarry, natch.

We had a version of Poky Little Puppy that came with an LP.  Jammed that shit on my giraffeer Price turntable and was straight transfixed by the dramatic twists n turns.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 03:54:08 pm »

The only kids books I remember reading are Bereenstain Bears and Dr. Seuss. I never encountered Francis, Madeline, airborne meatballs, or the locations of things which are wild.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 04:08:29 pm »

All the usual stuff of course, but especially Go Dog Go!

Do you like my hat?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 04:49:54 pm »

my mom had 2 really rad books of Grimm's Fairytales.  About 2 inches thick(each!) of awesome, dark, ancient-school thrills.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:20:31 pm »

Have you ever flown a kite in bed?
Have you ever walked with ten cats on your head?
Have you ever milked this kind of cow?
We can do it.  We know how?
If you haven't tried these things, you should.
These things are fun.  And fun is good.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 08:48:04 pm »

anybody want a peanut?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

schnitzelbank

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 32
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 09:01:41 pm »

I had a book of Grimm's fairy tales printed in the early 1900s. Blood, gore, betrayal - all the things a wee mind needs to grow and wonder why Disney movies were so lame in comparison.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 09:45:39 pm »

Dr. Seuss!  Especially Green Eggs and Ham and Hop on Pop

A little bit later, this:

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 10:10:48 pm »

Dr. Seuss!  Especially Green Eggs and Ham and Hop on Pop

A little bit later, this:



Silly girl. Yes, you are pointing the animal's head toward Mecca and restraining it properly, but you still cannot Halal slaughter a pig.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 11:07:54 pm »


With a clever use of terms, Doherty's book sends Rory and his three friends Morgan, Chase, and Solly (all names of large banks) to discover what Rory's father does for a living. With a father who is a trader on Wall Street, Rory always wondered what his father meant when he mentioned the trading pit and how he worked with bulls, bears ,and sharks-all very entertaining and educational notions for kids. The children set out on a great adventure following Rory's dad to work. They ride the train, elude a security guard, and have lots of fun on the trading floor. The kids agree it would be fun to work on Wall Street, wear colorful jackets, wave their hands around and throw piles of paper money on the floor. The adventure is clever, entertaining, educational, and right in sinc with a child's expectations and curiosity.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 01:29:34 am »

Whenever a child is born, this is what I buy for it.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 05:47:40 am »

Well, with the five years at the children's' theatre and five years at a book store, I have come across some books that stand the test of time and which children, parents and teachers never seem to tire of:

Where the Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak.  The book might seem a little overplayed these days due to the mediocre movie, but it is a classic, and revolutionized picture books in its time.  Plus doesn't every kid have that fear while learning to keep their emotions in check that they are in fact a monster?  It's a book I love to read to children, and they always find it fascinating. 

Love You Forever - Robert Munsch. This is a Canadian classic, not sure if it's that well known beyond my borders, but it's the sort of book that turns most parents into blubbery messes when they read it because it's about the unending love of the parent-child bond.  It's just such a beautiful story.  Also worth checking out from Munsch are Mud Puddle and The Paper Bag Princess.

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein is one of those sacred books of childhood that I think every child should read.  Like Munsch's Love You Forever, it's a surprisingly complex story told in a simple beautiful way.

For a more contemporary book, While You Are Sleeping by Alexis Deacon is a beautiful picture book about a girls toys coming to life and protecting her while she sleeps.  I always imagined my toys doing this when I was little, so this one strikes a cord.

Also I'm a Manatee by John Lithgow is always a hit with kids - it's fun to read out loud and well illustrated (Amazon only lists the book with CD, but I recommend the book by itself).

There's also tons of versions of the Stone Soup story.  It's one of those classics that kids still love.

Of course Frog and Toad are fantastic.

There's oodles more I could recommend, but it's time for my own bed time story...
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up