Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: well, in MY day.......  (Read 9689 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 06:03:53 am »










Actually, I used to love all those Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness books.  And pretty much anything that taught science and history geared towards a younger audience, really.  I started reading a lot at quite a young age so never really got into picture books.  I mean, I'd read them, because they were there and I read everything I could get my hands on, but since they only lasted me about thirty seconds I just didn't see the point.  I did read a lot of Asterix and Tintin, though.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:11:43 am by oball »
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 06:14:30 am »

i was an encyclopedia brown fan. and judy blume had some good books, but i didn't read her girly stuff. much.

anybody else remember the sports stories by matt christopher? they were published in the 50s-70s i guess. i liked those when i couldn't get my nose in anything else.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 06:17:34 am »

Oh, two novels I just remembered that I loved as a kid: The King of the Copper Mountains and The Phantom Tollbooth.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 06:24:37 am »

canned for phantom tollbooth memories
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 12:08:27 pm »




Also Bangers and Mash but I can't find any good pics of that.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 12:16:05 pm »

That reminds me...

Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 12:18:30 pm »

Hellz yes!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 01:55:17 pm »

I'm convinced you guys are just making books up now.

Except The Phantom Tollbooth. I just made a jumping to Conclusions reference the other day. I was assigned that book in 4th grade. That was the same year we read The Little Prince, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and Beowulf.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 03:00:37 pm »

Choose Your Own Adventure FTW. They have been re-issuing the series since 2005, if anyone knows a nerdy tween who might need a set.

Also, I see your Encyclopedia Brown, and raise you The Three Investigators.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 03:12:48 pm »

I always used to run out of fingers holding various places in the choose your own adventure books.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 04:06:17 pm »

Of course Frog and Toad are fantastic.

i forgot that i loved those books!

I always used to run out of fingers holding various places in the choose your own adventure books.

FTW (me too)
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 10:14:09 pm »

That reminds me...

The_Magic_Pudding
Yes!

Also:
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 10:33:11 pm »

More modern ones:
Click for Amazonage:

Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 03:42:35 am »

I really liked Jillian Jigs.  I remember making pigs.

I also memorized Lady and the Tramp.  That is about all I remember from early childhood.  That and sports, I guess.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: well, in MY day.......
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 09:16:54 pm »

Anyone else read Millions of Cats by Wanda Gag?  That was a favorite of mine as a wee lass. 



Also, Robert Cormier (The Cheese Stands Alone and The Chocolate War, good thoughtful stuff for junior high kids), Judy Blume, Trixie Belden books, anything about the paranormal, Stephen King, and 1984.  (Seriously, I read that one when I was 8, and loved it.)
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up