Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe  (Read 4216 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
« on: January 28, 2010, 07:01:31 pm »

J.D. Salinger is dead at 91.

I was never a huge fan of Catcher, but I loved just about everything else he wrote.  So long, Jerry.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 07:28:33 pm »

I read "Catcher" way too late in my teen years than to appreciate it the way some people had.

For a young adult literature class my senior year of high school.

I think if I had read it at 12 or 13, it might'a struck me with more force?

Instead, at that age, my dad gave me a dog-eared copy of "Breakfast of Champions" and... yeah.

That was all she wrote there.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 08:15:48 pm »

"It's not my fault you wouldn't play catch with your father!"  --Terence Mann, played by James Earl Jones in "Field of Dreams."  In the book, it was JD Salinger, but he complained, so they made a fictional author in the movie.

Also, a friend on Facebook commented on Salinger, and someone followed that with "Part of the American Cannon."  Which made me want to reply "Ka-BOOM!"  I didn't, though.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 09:37:10 pm »

I absolutely loved Nine Stories, and to a lesser extent Frannie and Zooey. Next to Vonnegut i'd say he was my favorite modern day American author.

I feel guilty because one of my first thoughts was regretting not adding him to my deadpool list in another forum a couple weeks ago when I thought about how old he was getting.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 10:02:51 pm »

"People that you thought were dead were still alive but are now dead for $200, Alex."

I hope he had a good one.

Related topic
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 10:41:32 pm »

"People that you thought were dead were still alive but are now dead for $200, Alex."

Ash, please get out of my head:

Quote from: me on Facebook thread
Huh - chalk him under "guys I thought were dead that weren't, but are now".
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 10:45:54 pm »

we read Nine Stories for my introductory fiction writing class, and I really really liked it.

I was given Franny and Zooey at some point and never read it. hm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 11:10:37 pm »

I read all his books many times when I was younger but now my recollection is that his characters were a big whiny bunch of drama queens.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 12:50:33 am »

I read all his books many times when I was younger but now my recollection is that his characters were a big whiny bunch of drama queens.

That is exactly my experience with Shakespeare.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 03:05:05 am »

I read "Catcher" way too late in my teen years than to appreciate it the way some people had.

For a young adult literature class my senior year of high school.

I think if I had read it at 12 or 13, it might'a struck me with more force?

Instead, at that age, my dad gave me a dog-eared copy of "Breakfast of Champions" and... yeah.

That was all she wrote there.

nvm
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:14:55 am by Drygioni »
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 03:53:42 am »

I absolutely loved Nine Stories, and to a lesser extent Frannie and Zooey.

That's exactly what I'd say.

Quote
Next to Vonnegut i'd say he was my favorite modern day American author.

This too, or at least of their era.  Vonnegut unqualified. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 03:57:20 am »

Quote from: Drygioni
nvm

Night Vision Monocular?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 03:59:47 am »

I read all his books many times when I was younger but now my recollection is that his characters were a big whiny bunch of drama queens.

So?  Dostoyevsky wrote about a cold-blooded murderer.  Being a murderer is worse than being a whiny drama queen, no?

He had great insight into the characters of those whiny drama queens.  He conveyed their activities with skill and style but without flash or pretense.

Your dang second favorite writer sucks!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 12:53:39 pm »

Being a murderer is more interesting than being a whiny drama queen, though.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 02:55:31 am »

LMF you boring bastard look aty ou

'o i wasn't areading SALINGER at that age I was more into VON NEGUT'

WELL GET YOU

You are obsioubley SOOO superior. SALinger isn't amy favourite author, VOnnegut is, but you just seem like youa're have to constantly name drop. What's . the . point.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: [1]   Go Up