Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Axe Cop  (Read 12799 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Axe Cop
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 11:48:26 pm »

Actually, one of my best friends from college out here does exactly that, he's an assistant producer in charge of the post-production story editing on lower-budget reality shows, over-seeing the process of hacking all the footage of somewhat-slutty ladies pretending to be REALLY-slutty ladies so that they can live inside the picture box... hacking all that together into something of a cohesive narrative.

But... y'know... he doesn't care all that much for the medium of reality teevee, he'd rather be writing post-modern sitcoms, he just happens to also be a person who is both a good writer AND a good editor so that shared skill-set pays the bills in a medium like fake-reality teevee where the half of the writing happens during the editing process.

Anyway. My point is... I don't care for reality television either. I prefer my entertainment to be honest about the level to which it is fictional or non-fictional, be it a movie where everyone admits that this was all written by a lady or a dude or... like... a documentary where all the things happened spontaneously but everyone admits that they were strung together for an ideological or narrative purpose.

But in reality teevee, the only extent to which anything is "real" is that the people pretend not to be actors and they're given scenarios to work off of instead of scripts so that they do not have to pay the writers their proper guild monies and do not have to pay the actors anything other than room, board and 15 minutes of fame.

And so too in this comic. If there is some kid saying "avocado" or "unicorn" to an artist while he is actually doing most of the writing, it is still disengenuous and off-putting to say that the child is "writing it"... at least for my tastes, anyway.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Axe Cop
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 12:31:10 am »

Somebody should email the older brother and direct him to this thread so he can answer our questions.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Axe Cop
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 12:33:01 am »

this should give you's more insight.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Axe Cop
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 02:16:51 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miv-ZEmwtVg

this is why I do not doubt that a small child could have come up with these plotlines.

But also, I do not really care. I think it is funny.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Axe Cop
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 02:32:14 am »

I really don't care for reality TV at all, however I simply could not stop watching Jerset Shore. It made me feel dirty, but those people were almost like aliens and I could never turn it off if it came on.
Logged

Chump Change

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 172
  • This is amazing!
    • View Profile
Re: Axe Cop
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 03:00:42 am »

I don't know about that.  I think it's being presented as an accomplished work.  They are selling merchandise and everything.  And since that's the way it's being presented, that's the way I am being forced to judge it.  

"Our gun bill is really high."

edit: Also, if you watch the 'creative process' video you can see that it is mostly him asking the kid "And then what happened?" This five year old boy is not turning out full storyboards with dialogue, guys.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 03:04:57 am by Chump Change »
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Axe Cop
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2010, 04:13:29 am »

you people could overthink a plate of beans

This

Bloody hell
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Axe Cop
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2010, 04:23:29 am »

I really love beans. And I appreciate Paul's pictures and recipes, even though the baked beans and cornbread I've been making once or twice a week are vegan.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Axe Cop
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2010, 05:34:33 am »

God damn now I want some beans but I am full of cookies.  Shoulda never quit cigarettes.
Logged
ACHIEVE

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Axe Cop
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2010, 05:44:12 am »

The answer is both obvious and self-reflexive, godot-bot.

Go look at some Axe Cop strips, get nauseous from the shaky-cam thing, throw up the cookies and then eat some beans!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Axe Cop
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2010, 11:45:25 am »

joining late but - maybe it would be exactly 15 times better if the kid itself was drawing it? you know, to add to the cute thing? right now the art just kills it a bit, I think. I have some comics that my nephew made when he was like ten or something that are very funny precisely because the pairing drawing/story is so awkward and yet cutey...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Axe Cop
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2010, 02:36:40 pm »

you people could overthink a plate of beans

God YES

no wonder trolls love you aspietards so much
you're like rain man after he snorted an eight ball
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Axe Cop
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2010, 02:55:15 pm »

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Chump Change

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 172
  • This is amazing!
    • View Profile
Re: Axe Cop
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2010, 09:38:59 pm »

joining late but - maybe it would be exactly 15 times better if the kid itself was drawing it? you know, to add to the cute thing? right now the art just kills it a bit, I think. I have some comics that my nephew made when he was like ten or something that are very funny precisely because the pairing drawing/story is so awkward and yet cutey...

If you want a comic written and drawn by a 5-10 year old, it's not that hard to find a 5-10 year old.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Axe Cop
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2010, 09:48:57 pm »

If you want a comic written and drawn by a 5-10 year old, it's not that hard to find a 5-10 year old.

I thought the death squads made them a relatively rare find nowadays.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up