Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: quality hmmm  (Read 9514 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2010, 12:54:42 pm »

Quote
Because I personally regard it as pleasantly decontextualized mythology with some social engineering and some broadstrokes history of the Middle East mixed in(...)

This is only peripherally related to the discussion but... Problem with oversimplied views of things is that they treat say the Bible as one thing - one homogeneous, easily summarized thing - easy to grasp, easy to disregard - easy. Which it so isn't. There's more than one Bible in the Bible. It's not even supposed to be a unified, coherent textbook on anything. The description above would kinda match the Old Testament, but would fail miserably to describe the New, for instance. Also, not even one of the items listed in the summary above would necessarily exclude truth from being a part of the proceedings.

...

I know. Here I am, being all logical again =P
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:15:18 am by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2010, 01:15:12 pm »

Verily, I do declare any fellow who doeth not worship the Bard a punk. Your C's, your U's and T's dribble the page as do your P's. Methinks you are well versed in country matters?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2010, 02:36:03 pm »

I really like Shakespeare but it's mainly because I love the puns. How much of a bad person does that make me?



You, sir, are worse than Hitler.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2010, 04:00:07 pm »

I've often had the experience of watching a movie and by the end of the movie still not knowing the names of the characters and moreover not even being able to recognize some of the main characters from one scene to another if there were too many characters who looked alike (e.g. two or more of a similar age, race, and/or hair style.)


Yeah, I have this problem too. I'm constantly asking Pedro, "Wait, who is that? The white guy who hates the hero, or the one who is in love with the hero's sister? Or is that the hero? Why is this movie full of white guys with dark hair in suits?"

This is one of the things that's been nice about all the BBC TV I've been watching lately. The BBC seems to cast a much wider variety of faces and body types than American film. American TV is better than film in this regard, and I tend to watch a lot of the shows I like so I have more of an opportunity to get to know the characters, but I really have trouble following the plots of American films like "The Godfather" because all the men look alike. But then, I guess Hollywood tends to cast men who fall into a very specific "movie star pretty" type, whereas to be a BBC actor, one need not be even remotely attractive in a conventional way.

On a related note, Pedro and I started watching Flight of the Conchords this week (we wanted to wait 'til it wasn't cool anymore I guess) and I have realized that I DEFINITELY can hear the difference between a NZ accent and an Australian one. Sweet mother, that is one fucked-up-sounding accent. I guess I hadn't been exposed to a NZ accent terribly much until recently, but my kids watched The Wiggles all day and then I caught an episode of Torchwood off Netflix Instant and then we popped in the Conchords DVD, so going from Aussie to BBC Wales to NZ was really kind of disorienting.

I was like, "Wot?"
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2010, 04:40:06 pm »

ya like dags?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

schnitzelbank

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 32
    • View Profile
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2010, 06:44:08 pm »



...Australian...The Wiggles...

This made me think of Dylan Moran's take on Australia and the Wiggles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZY17y1MVl4
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up