librivox... pretty cool... sucky interface however... I just e-mailed them about it, Pat style...
I won't bore you with everything I suggested to them, but for instance, the end of my e-mail:
It also totally sucks that your results include this footer:
1 ·2 ·3 ·4 ·...·54 ·55 ·56 ·57 ·58 ·...·64 ·65 ·66 ·67
what if I want to go directly to number 53 in the list? Or number 30? If
I do, I'm left muttering to myself about how much your computer program
sucks. Computer programs only suck when people make them suck. Please
stop making your computer program suck.
Best Regards,
It's certainly not nice of me, but I look at it this way... It's dangerous as fuck to encourage people to promulgate systems that suck. Sucky computer systems as well as sucky procedures in general lead to situations where for example the school nurse starts giving insulin shots by accident instead of swine flu shots. (This actually happened in some school somewhere this flu season.) It leads to situations where Choop's books get lost... It also leads to shit like this...
http://www.ntsb.gov/Events/2000/incursion/incur_video.htm(scroll down to United 1448 runway incursion animation) real player required - you will not believe it... listen to all the audio.. it's crazy as hell. incomplete versions that are missing the part when then tower operator totally freaks out can also be found on you tube if you search for united 1448.
Choop: That sucks about your books. If I were you I would start lobbying the people who run the library, the people on the board of directors or whatever, to get over their lost books that they say you own them. I'd consider handing out free book marks to people at their annual book sale... assuming I had time to kill... I'd do all this not out of a selgiraffe psychopathy, but because, hey, anytime you can put pressure on systems that suck to suck less, you never know if you might have a positive effect in the way people think and act.
Some people fight racism. I fight evil administrative systems and computer systems.