Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381767 times)

0 Members and 77 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2130 on: June 13, 2013, 10:55:01 pm »

I am not sure. I got some of it, but I don't think I have delved deep enough into Donuts yet to move onto another one. I need to start listening later in the album, instead of starting at the first song every time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:18:01 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2131 on: June 14, 2013, 12:50:48 pm »

Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2132 on: June 14, 2013, 01:57:01 pm »

Oh guys I'm downright gruffling this bad boy at the mo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHMrJNZaatE
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2133 on: June 14, 2013, 02:11:54 pm »

idgaf what anybody thinks, pharrell is making some damned good pop music.

with daft punk: get lucky

with robin thicke (?!): blurred lines
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2134 on: June 14, 2013, 06:01:32 pm »

Also this: Sunbather: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfbLWHT7vUU (and I don't even like metal)
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2135 on: June 15, 2013, 05:54:43 am »

i was at a bar tonight for a friend's wife's surprise birthday party. the missus has to work in the morning, so i walked her back to the car at a little past ten. twelve or so minutes later, i walked back into the bar and noticed that the live "band" had given up the ghost and let a dj take the wheel. i requested that "blurred lines" song i recommended a few posts up, and it came on within a couple minutes. i heard it and started dancing.

immEdiately, the hottest waitress in the joint started dancing with me. she had to check on a table, though, at which point a gorgeous girl from a nearby table got up and started dancing with me, at one point grinding so deep i had to step away. and then the waitress was back, only not grinding because she worked there. that goddamned asshole idiot deejay fuck*ng only played the first motherfuck*ng third of the damn song! GODDAMNIT I WAS DANCING WITH HOT GIRLS FUCKER, KEEP THE SONG GOING!!!!

so yeah that's a good song
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2136 on: June 15, 2013, 07:05:02 am »

Hott!!!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2137 on: June 15, 2013, 03:08:09 pm »

Man, I was so into donuts a few months ago, so good.  Never listened to anything else by him, should I?

I like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ncSt5xC8Uk

I have a bunch of his stuff but really only listen to Donuts and that song. I'm kind of obsessed with Donuts. The album and the food.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2138 on: June 21, 2013, 07:36:20 pm »

The ultimate Bro Song for Ultimate Bro Friday Friday Friday.

That rocked. Never gave Pennywise much attention before.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2139 on: June 29, 2013, 07:59:41 pm »

That Blurred Lines song is, as they say, rapey.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2140 on: July 25, 2013, 09:57:06 pm »

Listening to my playlist on random and came across this little gem. Wilson Pickett doing a cover of Born to be Wild with Duane Allman on guitar.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2141 on: July 25, 2013, 11:47:50 pm »

My random playlist is really working for me today. It just threw out this beauty. As I recall, I first heard of Odetta via mixdisc I acquired here. From our little Furry Batman. What was his name again. Anyway, I would have never known about her otherwise.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2142 on: August 02, 2013, 08:12:28 pm »

That Blurred Lines song is, as they say, rapey.

how about this version? sorry, it's jimmy fallon reviving a gimmick, but he's got robin thicke there -- and tariq's lyrics are SO MUCH BETTER than t.i's from the official recording.

(by the by, i've heard the opposite argument about the song being rapey, that the singer's character merely respects the agency of the woman to whom he's singing, accepting her advances, implied to have happened just before the song began)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2143 on: August 02, 2013, 11:01:23 pm »

re: blurred lines:

the song is hella catchy and fun and cool.  the neptunes did a rad job.  i think the lyrics seem misogynistic, yet, choops idea sounds plausible.

the thing is, robin thicke is like, a C-grade R+B singer.  he only gets maybe one video/radio hit per album.  if thats the one, then its a good hit.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2144 on: August 03, 2013, 12:05:25 am »

how about this version? sorry, it's jimmy fallon reviving a gimmick, but he's got robin thicke there -- and tariq's lyrics are SO MUCH BETTER than t.i's from the official recording.

(by the by, i've heard the opposite argument about the song being rapey, that the singer's character merely respects the agency of the woman to whom he's singing, accepting her advances, implied to have happened just before the song began)

I've listened to this song a few times, get its appeal, don't hate it, don't love it and have never read about it.  I get the sense that he is doing exactly what you say in your second paragraph.  There is some line about being the hottest girl in the place that makes me feel that way.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 190   Go Up