Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381747 times)

0 Members and 78 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2520 on: April 07, 2015, 06:38:25 pm »

Your folks can surprise you sometimes.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2521 on: April 18, 2015, 03:22:56 am »

Getting my mind blown by BBC sessions of 60s/70s bands I love. Led Zeppelin live on the radio is something to hear. King Crimson is killing it.

I am realizing there are a lot of albums by bands I liked in high school that I haven't heard. I thought later Black Sabbath was dorky, later Zeppelin was wanky, later Pixies was boring, etc. The payoff is that now 10 years later THIS SHIT IS SO GOOD. Or at least some of it is. Sometimes it really is wanky.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2522 on: April 18, 2015, 05:14:44 am »

What you say is true about latter day offerings, but only in relation to their earlier work. If you didn't have Led Zeppelin II to compare it to, In Through the Out Door would totally shine on it's own. It pales in comparison, but it's still pretty damn good. And that's true for a lot of artists.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2523 on: April 18, 2015, 05:29:38 am »

King Crimson is killing it.

Fuck Yeah!

I never knew about the live music on the BBC until they started releasing all of these amazing albums starting in the late 80s. The first one that I experienced was the Beatles. It's so good. What I learned from the little booklet that accompanied the album is that back in the day there were restrictions on playing records on the radio. They were allowed only a couple of hours a day of "needle time." Since there was only one radio station in England at the time that doesn't leave a lot of time for pop music. So in order to get on the radio basically everybody who was anybody would play live for the BBC. It was an amazing time. It lasted until the 80s. There's no equivalent to it in the US.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2524 on: April 18, 2015, 05:54:37 am »

I never knew about the live music on the BBC until ... the late 80s.

Well I apparently didn't know about it until the 2010's, so you're way ahead of me. I always saw those Live On The BBC tracks and thought, why would I want to hear recordings of them playing on some radio show. I should have known.

I have been binging on music so hard today while reading boring research papers that I have gotten myself punch-drunk. Earlier my roommate walked in and I was playing an air-drum solo with my eyes closed.

I am working on a mix-cd for my 8 year old cousin who is obsessed with guitars. Trying to think of songs without any bad words that would excite a kid that age. Iron Man? Chuck Berry? Dick Dale? Eruption? I am far enough down the listening-to-guitars rabbithole that I don't know what this kid might like. He is doing chores and practicing his piano to prove to his parents he is really committed, at some point the agreement is he will have earned a starter guitar. He is a pretty withdrawn kid but when he comes to our house all he wants to do is talk to me about playing guitar. Adorable.
(When his older brother was born I started counting down until he was old enough for getting mix cds, but I never dreamed of having a cousin who was obsessed with guitar music and had perfect pitch. I actually probably have more in common with the older one, who is a hypersensitive know-it-all who never shuts up, but... he doesn't want guitar CDs.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2525 on: April 18, 2015, 07:48:51 am »

Well consider yourself lucky. I've never had a young family member that gave a shit about the music I listened to.

About the BBC, what I meant is, that's when those CD's first started coming out. I think the first one I saw was David Bowie, and my initial reaction was about the same as yours. I actually thought that they were probably live albums, but they are so much more than that. It was the Beatles one that compelled me to purchase. It's a treasure. I've since collected quite a number of them. The Who, Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Kinks, Jimi Hendrix.

There's actually a Beatles Vol. 2 out now which I have yet to hear. Need to get that, Beatles lover that I am.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2526 on: April 25, 2015, 03:23:35 am »

i know the universe is surfeited with live hendrix, but that recent Miami Pop Festival CD?  NAPALM, DUDE
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2527 on: April 26, 2015, 07:33:28 pm »

LIMMO??
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2528 on: April 29, 2015, 03:41:09 am »

Holy Cow Presence!

But really I am just listening to nonstop King Crimson. Larks' Tongues in Aspic? Starless and Bible Black? Red? It hurts thinking back to when I first got In the Court of the Crimson King and deleted everything but the first track.

After 1 day I had to give up on Yes, Genesis, and Rush though. Maybe one day I'll be ready. I can almost get into Yes, it's really just the vocals that are holding me back.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2529 on: April 29, 2015, 05:04:34 am »

Holy Cow Presence!

Ha ha!  Memories.  My freshman year roommate and I had a tradition of blasting this song at top volume every Friday afternoon.

Quote
But really I am just listening to nonstop King Crimson. Larks' Tongues in Aspic? Starless and Bible Black? Red? It hurts thinking back to when I first got In the Court of the Crimson King and deleted everything but the first track.


Discipline?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2530 on: April 29, 2015, 05:08:44 am »

I read that the 80s albums are awesome, but I have not gotten to them yet.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2531 on: April 29, 2015, 05:12:51 am »

i know the universe is surfeited with live hendrix, but that recent Miami Pop Festival CD?  NAPALM, DUDE

Is so good.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2532 on: May 03, 2015, 11:58:01 pm »

When the going gets weird the weird go PRO.

That certainly lives up to the name.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2533 on: May 04, 2015, 03:35:07 am »

Fuck you, this song is perfect.

Yes.  Yes it is.

I am digging the jams that you are laying down, sir.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2534 on: May 09, 2015, 02:41:26 am »

Logged
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 190   Go Up