Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379377 times)

0 Members and 59 Guests are viewing this topic.

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1650 on: April 02, 2012, 10:05:44 pm »

Well, that's Morrissey, Depeche Mode and Kate Bush.  Clearly, that British New Wave sound that came about post-punk is not your thing.  To be fair, all of them have released music consistently into the 90's, 00's and beyond, so maybe 80's music is doing them an injustice of sorts, but I know what you mean.

Logged

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1651 on: April 02, 2012, 10:15:30 pm »

After the conversation above, I was sure that was gonna be 'Instant Club Hit (You'll Dance to Anything)'.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1652 on: April 02, 2012, 11:45:48 pm »

Clearly, that British New Wave sound that came about post-punk is not your thing.

It's not just them.  All of my favorite bands from the 70s took 3 shits and died in the 80s. The 80s were also the era of glam metal, the rise of Christian Pop, 12" Extended Play remixes and those horrible horrible synth drums.



Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1653 on: April 02, 2012, 11:53:25 pm »

I love a 12" mix from time to time, I will admit to that.  I know it makes me sound like a twat, but playing a 12" at 45 rpm fairly made some of those dance tunes (Blue Monday, Relax, etc.) jump out LOUD.

 I'm with you on Stryper.

Ebony and Ivory mercifully was blocked over here on copyright grounds (?) but from this I take it that the other videos were 80's incarnations of people being sad shadows of themselves.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1654 on: April 03, 2012, 02:31:26 am »

Ebony and Ivory mercifully was blocked over here on copyright grounds (?) but from this I take it that the other videos were 80's incarnations of people being sad shadows of themselves.

Yes and speaking to your earlier point about Kate Bush, most of the groups I linked to (including Macca) made full recoveries later in their careers after sucking all through the 80s. 

Oh, and the 12" extended remix was an extended remix of The Firm doing Radioactive, which, in my innocence, paid money for. Hey, it was Jimmy Page and Paul Rogers, how could it possibly suck?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1655 on: April 03, 2012, 03:13:14 am »

I never knew that These Dreams was by Heart. If I had to guess I don't think they would have been in my top 5 guesses.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1656 on: April 03, 2012, 03:17:51 am »

Kate Bush is a god-like genius, but I only listened to the new album once.  My reaction was that I might listen to it one more time, but I doubted I'd listen to it over and over again.  I still bought it, because she fits into that grouping of people I unconditionally support.

Maybe when I give it that second listen eventually, I'll want a third listen.

Interesting. I think I've already given it two listens, and will most definitely give it a third. I'm not a huge Kate Bush fan though. Well, I think she's fantastic but I only own and am familiar with Hounds of Love, some single that I bought because Sexual Healing is the b-side and this new one.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1657 on: April 03, 2012, 06:15:46 am »

It's true to say that Bowie sucked right through the 80's (except Scary Monsters, which was 1980).

My current fav Kate Bush tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EhmUghu7tI

A cracking version of Hounds of Love by The Futureheads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcMAM9B7yAA
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1658 on: April 03, 2012, 06:00:43 pm »

Man, there was a lot of different kinds of '80's weren't there?

You know, I'm not real crazy about Punk either.  It rocks, which I like, but it all sounds the same to me, and the singers are terrible.  The 80s were when music went to obsessive extremes.  On the one hand you had guitarist perfecting their instrument to the point that their playing sounds like a clinic. Then you have groups like you linked to that have purposely rejected that and have gone to the extreme the other way.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1659 on: April 04, 2012, 05:36:43 am »

At the moment I am listening to Broken Social Scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0BkgakEKVk
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1660 on: April 04, 2012, 11:11:11 am »

you think i aint worth a dollar but i feel like a millionaire(live)-queens of the stone age

a rad driving tune

also, i just really dig the hell out of their hard/heavy/gloomy powerpop sounds, in general.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1661 on: April 04, 2012, 12:41:45 pm »

What about some of this? I'm not even sure I like it, but, dudes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiwBeqPik14
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1662 on: April 04, 2012, 01:40:04 pm »

you think i aint worth a dollar but i feel like a millionaire(live)-queens of the stone age

a rad driving tune

also, i just really dig the hell out of their hard/heavy/gloomy powerpop sounds, in general.

I really like QOTSA, but Josh Homme is a total douche. Watch this video where he berates this kid who throws a sock on stage.

Douche:

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1663 on: April 04, 2012, 04:16:12 pm »

I think most of my favorite music is from the 80s. Go figure.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1664 on: April 04, 2012, 04:22:39 pm »

What about some of this? I'm not even sure I like it, but, dudes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiwBeqPik14

That dude at 1:30 was very funny.  You might go see them if they showed up in town, but I'm sure I wouldn't listen to their music at home.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 190   Go Up