I happen to find myself on one of the Spanish language stations the other night and they were broadcasting the news. I think I stopped because they were doing a report on a boxing match. But then they started covering a "football" match that ended in a 0 - 0 tie. Despite there being no scoring they had a lot of "highlights" to show.
It was at this time that it occurred to me why Americans don't care for this sport. To compare it to American football it was like watching drive after drive after drive that went deep into the red zone and then culminated with a missed field goal. It was very frustrating to watch.
It is the eternal football vs. American sports argument.
All your popular sports are high scoring games. This lends itself to the kinds of stats obsessed wizardry American fans seem to crave, whilst also meaning that the status quo is, normally, upheld. The better team on the day normally wins in a high-scoring game. This is not a bad thing. It's also more enjoyable for families and those not as versed in the sport, I am guessing.
For football fans, like myself, there is a lot of beauty in those highlights. Yes, it can be frustrating watching your team ALMOST score a goal multiple times only to finish scoreless. It is even more frustrating if your team does this but the other team nick a last minute goal. There are a lot of 'lucky' results. But at the end of the day I love it for that, it goes for you as often as it does against you and a match is never predictable and hence always watchable.
I appreciate the aesthetic beauty of the game itself when played well. Something as small as the creation of space to keep possession, a crunching but fair tackle, or a beautiful piece of trickery to create an opening, are 'highlights'. There are often a lot of these each game. Even if it's a physical aerial slug-fest there's a certain visceral pleasure that derives from the physical battle between centre-forward and centre-half and the midfielders.
Of course, compared to your favourites sports, it's different and will therefore seem uninteresting.
America/Canada are probably the only two nations in the world where football is not the first or the second most popular sport, off the top of my head. It seems strange that the most popular sport in the world is so relatively low-key there, maybe in Canada less so. The MLS is growing though apparently and your national team has been impressive recently so maybe things are turning around. You don't produce a lot of natural footballers (yet) due to the lack of footballing culture but you do produce finely-tuned athletes who are well-disciplined tactically and very professionally minded.
Anyway this is a movie thread so that's all I have to say on the matter. And I am tired.
Oh wait LFM is here
It's like throwing a superball into a small room as hard as you can while people scream in languages you can't quite identify.
There's a lot of action and yelling but after the shock of the cacophony, you start to realize that...
Nothing quantifiable is actually happening.
A series of frenetic bounces here and there, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Actually screw it. I've had this debate many times and it's clear cultural differences are the only thing mattering here. I could get the most eloquent, passionate football expert in the world to explain to you why football is a great sport. Equally, you could get a similarly erudite and engaging speaker on why American sports are better. But neither of us will change our opinions and only grow further entrenched in our own beliefs making us less and less likely to view the sports without a certain agenda in mind.
Good day to you sir.