Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Moguls  (Read 18709 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 05:53:20 pm »

My point being is that this sport is all about being gnarly and cool and "extreme," but I think it's much less extreme than some of the so called stodgy established events.  It's all about attitude.  This article pretty much sums it up.  I noticed yesterday they have a couch at the bottom of the mogul for the contestants to chill out on while they watch the other dudes shred, maybe pack a few bowls, gruffle up some Doritos and Mountain Dew.  It's hilarious. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 06:14:13 pm »

Nah, XTREME is for snowboarders. Moguls are for skiers, who are just as stodgy and established as the other competitors.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Moguls
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 07:19:03 pm »

i think the adrenaline rush of sports is pretty extreme, in general.  if not, lots of people do silly things in silly clothes for no good reason.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Moguls
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 08:32:04 pm »

I don't mind the Olympic games, summer or winter style, but I just don't pay a whole bunch of attention anymore. The times of Champions bringing about any sort of useful change is long ago gone.

As far as the luger? Strike a replica of the medal for the games out of iron, so as not to compete with the Gold/Silver/Bronze triptych, and present it to his spouse/family.

I think that sounds about right, as far as recognition can go for this kind of thing.

Not sure his family would appreciate an item made of a ferrous metal

I think that would be a touching tribute in all honesty
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 08:33:26 pm »

Not sure his family would appreciate an item made of a ferrous metal

Yeah, insert joke about "iron-y" here.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Moguls
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 08:34:33 pm »

Yeah, insert joke about "iron-y" here.

Alright you win
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 08:52:20 pm »

At least nobody said anything about him being a "pillar of the community."
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Moguls
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 01:21:28 am »

I fuck*ng love the olympics, every season, every event, no matter what.  I will watch and enjoy at least 96% of all the olympics that are aired this year and any other year because the olympics are the best.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 07:03:05 am »

Amen.  Although not every event.  Not that I don't want to.  One year the broadcaster had some "Red", "White", and "Blue" cable channels that was like Olympic C-Span.  You could watch the heats of the 400m hurdles with Upper Volta and Trinidad.  That shit was riveting.  (Not being sarcastic). 
I fuck*ng love the olympics, every season, every event, no matter what.  I will watch and enjoy at least 96% of all the olympics that are aired this year and any other year because the olympics are the best.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 07:26:56 am »

After seeing the downhill alpine skiing tonight mogals seem tame.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 09:08:29 am »

I like the Winter Olympics because it has a high proportion of events in which I:
  • Don't know what the fuck is happening
  • Am sure I would die if I tried to participate
  • Am amazed by the scenery
I'm getting seriously tired of NBC's bull, but that's why I have a DVR.  Everything else is awesome, even the parts where Wayne GretzkyTM stands around and looks awkward holding fire.

Also: Plaschke is a giant douche.  I have come to this conclusion though many hours of playing the "Around the Horn" game, in which I pause after the topic is announced, try to think of the lamest stance to take on the topic, and see if Plaschke can say something lamer.  He's about .800 on it.  Now I just skip the show entirely for PTI.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Moguls
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 02:23:35 pm »

After seeing the downhill alpine skiing tonight mogals seem tame.

It's merely just different. Sports shouldn't be judged on how fast they are to recognise their tameness. Is a 40 mile desert run tamer than a Formula 1 race? Less exciting to watch perhaps, but for the athlete involved it is just as difficult, just in a different fashion.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 02:50:29 pm »

As usual, I am trying and failing to watch the Olympics. Whenever it occurs to me to turn it on, they are not playing a sport. Last night, it was a story about polar bears. I am pretty sure that polar bears do not compete in the Olympics?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 04:26:38 pm »

Alexandre Bilodeau won the first Canadian gold on Canadian soil for the Mogul on Saturday.  There was a beautiful post-win clip on, where they interspliced him skiing with his special-needs brother watching him in the stands.  That dude's bro was experiencing full-out, total joy, and it was so beautiful that it brought a tear to my eye.

Interestingly, when watching, I was specifically thinking about skier's knees - as many of you have commented on.  My husband used to ski competitively, but he didn't stick with it very long, so his knees are okay.  Unfortunately I never got to see him in a stretchy skier's outfit.  His sister, who is 14 years younger than him and in highschool, is training intensely as a skier, and she does Alpine as well as moguls and all sorts of other skiing.  She's currently aiming to compete in the 2014 games.  She trains intensely through out the year, with a lot of dry land and swimming training in summer, along with trips to mountain destinations to ski even when it's warm.  It's seriously time consuming and so expensive, but she really enjoys it and it's good to see a young lady developing strong self-esteem, regardless of the how's and why's.  She has commented that her knees are going to be ruined, but then my knees are ruined for basically no reason, so at least she's got something amazing to blame for her future joint issues. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Moguls
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 04:28:56 pm »

I am pretty sure that polar bears do not compete in the Olympics?

Ha!  I understand the polar bears have fielded at Curling team (squad? crew? battery? bunch of broom-wielders?).

You should not underestimate bears.  Steve would be offended.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up