Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Poll

Which path have you chosen?

the well-trodden path
- 2 (20%)
the road less travelled
- 3 (30%)
I'm standing at the cross roads
- 3 (30%)
I am fate's fool
- 2 (20%)
I'm along for the ride on someone elses journey right now
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10


Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Which road?  (Read 6360 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Which road?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 10:14:29 pm »

I am majorly pro-baby, pro-cute house, pro-marriage, etc. It is maybe not very realistic the way I view these things.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Which road?
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 10:37:53 pm »

I am majorly pro-baby, pro-cute house, pro-marriage, etc. It is maybe not very realistic the way I view these things.

'the family' is the basic unit of society, so there is nothing abnormal about seeing "the house, the family-mobile, the S.O. and kids, the job, etc." as normal.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Which road?
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 10:49:48 pm »

oh, no, it isn't that I think they are normal that is weird, I just think I have a really unrealistically positive view of what these life choices will entail.

"obviously I will have an awesome job and loving, functional family and everyone will be healthy and no one will get divorced or hate each other or anything."

I dont' know. Lately the girl keeps dragging me into these weird arguments about marriage that make no sense.

1. she has her factual understanding of what "most people" do very wrong
2. looking at her family, I do not get where she is getting her weird, intensely negative impression of marriage.
3. I do not understand why I am getting antagonized about my attitude towards marriage by my girlfriend, when I am 21 years old and still in school. CHILL OUT, I WON'T TRICK YOU INTO MARRYING ME.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Which road?
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 11:02:26 pm »

A lady saying negative things about marriage is generally just code for "don't propose to me yet.  I'll let you know when I'm ready to drop down on one knee."  There is nothing many a lady fears more than having a really awesome guy they are involved with ask her to marry him when she isn't yet ready, because the prospects are either "break the awsome guy's heart" or "dive into something you're not even sort of, mildly ready for."   Have you figured out at what point in your life you want to get engaged and then married?  You might want to open the doors of communication by letter her know what sort of rough time frame your thinking of is, that way the pressure is sort of off, and she can relax and enjoy what ever point on your time line your on.  Unless of course your time frame is within the next six months to a year.  In that case, the honesty is important, but it would mean you have very different goals and have to reexamine things seriously.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Which road?
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 11:12:51 pm »

I mean, I do not think she thinks I am going to ask her to marry me.

Who knows. She gets weirdly agitated about it. Maybe I give off a crazy vibe.
I mean, I do, probably.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Which road?
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 11:54:01 pm »

Smells, you would be such a great mom.


I am trying not to try to sway you in one direction or the other, here, but I am admittedly pro-baby and horribly biased, so I hope you're taking this for what it's worth (which isn't much) and with a grain of salt.

Uh, this.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Which road?
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 12:02:55 am »

what sort of rough time frame your thinking of is, that way the pressure is sort of off, and she can relax and enjoy what ever point on your time line your on.  Unless of course your time frame is within the next six months to a year

This is an idea I've come across before and don't totally understand. How can you plan when you want to get married before you meet the person you want to marry? Trying to timetable True Love like something that can only lead to bad and sad places.

I feel at the moment that I haven't taken enough 'big swings' in my life, to use 'smet's wording. I'm not exactly heading down a conventional path, I've gone to uni, got a job for a couple of years and almost got married. Then I threw that all over the side to go back and do something new with my life and at this point I'm not planning on marriage or anything anytime soon and my new career should give me freedom to do a lot of cool stuff. At the same time I don't exactly do anything particularly crazy in my day to day life. We'll see how we go I guess.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Which road?
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 02:26:52 am »

thre path of artleast eeasistance.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Which road?
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 02:31:06 am »

aLs os tis ais all bullshit about differenat paths. Eveyrone atkes teh patha they want tod and that is the bes all and end all. Bullshit about pathe lses traveled and path well trodeni n the end yo uare doing whatevr yone else has done. The path whic suits you best.

So basically nob off wit yur 'i am doing the htings most peopel don't' crap, as we al do what we are urged to do bilogially or just mentally, no-one is different

BOOM
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Which road?
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 03:05:13 am »

GABBY JOHNSON IS RIGHT!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Which road?
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 04:31:29 am »

thre path of artleast eeasistance.

the path of least assistance  :D
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Which road?
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 03:53:46 pm »

GABBY JOHNSON IS RIGHT!

Hahahaha.

the path of least assistance  :D

It's the way backwards
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Which road?
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2010, 08:51:37 pm »

This is an idea I've come across before and don't totally understand. How can you plan when you want to get married before you meet the person you want to marry? Trying to timetable True Love like something that can only lead to bad and sad places.

If your in a relationship where you don't plan to marry that person, then there's the answer.  "I don't plan to marry you or have children, possibly ever.  Though I'm human and things change."  Which is basically what I said to my husband when he started talking about marrage 6 months into our relation ship.  And I was human, and things did change.  I gave him the respect of being honest with him at the time, and honest with him when things do change.

I guess the obvious disparity is that for ladies, our baby making abilities are on a definite time table.  If having a kid with your DNA is on your life's to do list, like it or not, there a time table involved.  If a partner's goals are to one day ideally marry and have children, as in Dan's case, saying "I'm not looking to get married for X number of years, or have children until I'm X years old or have completed X goal" doesn't mean committing to doing such a thing with the current partner.  This serves to lay the cards on the table, which is part of respectful, honest communication.  It sets the potential shelf-life of the relationship for the other person, telling him or her they need to either be on board with the same plan or understand his or her partner's path is likely to diverge from his or her own at a certain point.  This doesn't mean things are fixed or anything, but it's about communicating trajectories.  If either partner isn't honest or open about such things, you could end up really unhappily in love with someone who wants something you have no desire for.  I've had two close friends end loving partnerships for such reasons recently, and it's god awful to love someone dearly and want very different things out of life.

In Dan's example, he wants to have a wife and kids one day, so the important question becomes, how long would he be willing to wait for his current lady to come around to such a plan, or if she never wants to marry, would he be okay with that over the long term, short term, etc? 

A lot of people are really frightened about talking openly and honestly about the "big things."  I don't know why, but I do think it's why so many people end up divorced these days.  I really do think telling the truth is one of the most important things to share with a partner, in all manners.  It's hella hard work, and scary, but so damn worth it. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Which road?
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 08:27:14 pm »

the first of my friends from high school just got engaged. WEIRD.

or, I guess one guy I kind of knew got married, but, I haven't seen him in several years, and he was a few years older than me.

my girlfriend's response was "I'll bet you wish that was you."

WHAT?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:55:11 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Which road?
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 12:43:48 am »

The joke is predicated on understanding that Dan is way more into classically 'girly' things like love and marriage than his girlfriend.

SS: I understand that bit, at least being clear with your partner about your plans, but I just don't know how one can decide they want to be in love and married before they've met the person they are in love with. It just seems backwards. I guess you're right and the baby-clock bit does play a part, and I have no problem with doing the opposite and saying 'I don't particularly want to do that before a certain age' which isn't really any more rational.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up