Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break  (Read 8295 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
« on: February 21, 2010, 10:49:17 am »

So I'm taking my first extended non-holiday related vacation in April, but I don't yet know where I want to go.  So far all I've been able to figure out is this:

  • It should be easy to get to.  If it's not driving distance from San Diego I probably won't want to need a rental car when I get there.
  • It shouldn't have something going on that attracts crowds, and shouldn't be a spring break destination.
  • I may want to spend a good deal of the time there without interacting with people.
  • I prefer cold weather to hot.

So... yeah.  I'm not really sure where that is.  Maybe a ski cabin at a place where the season ends early?  Just throw out suggestions.  It doesn't even have to conform to all of the list of rules.  I'm just looking for someplace to relax, mainly, so "attractions" don't matter a whole lot.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 08:33:13 pm »

come chill in St Louis, we will get beers. perfect vacation.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 09:07:17 pm »

A week in San Diego sounds so fantastic to me right now, I can't think of anyplace it would make sense to leave there to go.

Maybe go see the bison on Catalina Island and pretend you're in one of those national parks in cold places where they really live?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 10:16:32 pm »

A week in San Diego sounds so fantastic to me right now, I can't think of anyplace it would make sense to leave there to go.

i will be returning my plane tickets to a garden paradise :(
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 03:37:26 am by greenkoolayd »
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:52:01 pm »

So I'm taking my first extended non-holiday related vacation in April, but I don't yet know where I want to go.  So far all I've been able to figure out is this:

  • It should be easy to get to.  If it's not driving distance from San Diego I probably won't want to need a rental car when I get there.
  • It shouldn't have something going on that attracts crowds, and shouldn't be a spring break destination.
  • I may want to spend a good deal of the time there without interacting with people.
  • I prefer cold weather to hot.

So... yeah.  I'm not really sure where that is.  Maybe a ski cabin at a place where the season ends early?  Just throw out suggestions.  It doesn't even have to conform to all of the list of rules.  I'm just looking for someplace to relax, mainly, so "attractions" don't matter a whole lot.
Need anyone to house sit?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 12:06:35 am »

ive got my plane tickets already.  will spend 5/3-5/10 in a garden paradise.

I'll be in San Diego this July for a week. I'm so excited. I enjoy warm weather though.

Lister, I would go stay at a B&B. You can negotiate really great rates and a nice room if you stay for more than a few days. If you like cold places I think you should go for someplace in Alaska in April. As long as you're not at a ski resort like Girdwood you should be able to find decent rates.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:59:34 am »

The library?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 03:46:22 am »

You might like Seattle.  Plenty going on in town, but you can also take ferries here and there across the Sound.  Probably some good outdoorsy stuff not that far away.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 01:41:55 pm »

As one who doesn't vacation I'll be of no help. All I can think is Cherry Blossom Festival? But that tends to attract hell of people.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 02:09:12 pm »

Come to Britain! Why not?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 06:11:17 pm »

OK, a week in Santa Barbara sounds even better than a week in San Diego, I think. But to be fair I have perhaps an unrealistically rosy opinion of Santa Barbara.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 06:32:32 pm »


Pismo Beach, CA.


... and all the clams we can eat!



Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 06:52:04 pm »

I highly recommend renting a cabin somewhere in the off season.  There's sure to be some great places if you're up for a drive west into the mountains.  Get some place with no phone and a small kitchennette.  Bring easy to prepare food and paper plates and decompress.  I've done it, and I'm due to do it again.  So nice.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 07:37:24 pm »

There's sure to be some great places if you're up for a drive west into the mountains. 

Pro Tip:  Do NOT drive to mountains west of San Diego.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 09:09:04 pm »

... and all the clams we can eat!





thats the first thing that came to my mind when i read that, as well.  the second thing?  gutterthoughts.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up