How are ties broken in a playoff game?
In the event that a playoff game ends in a tie, the deadlock is broken using the following system:
- Winning percentage against this opponent during the regular season. The winning percentage is based on individual stat category wins and losses, not match up wins and losses.
- Playoff seed.
I'm pretty sure this is different than in years past. Anyway, I checked the final stat totals, and the following scenarios can play out under these rules:
1. If the Phlogistons tie Hot Bloody Fat, the Phlogistons will advance to the final.
2. If Banana Town ties the Sturdy Thighbones, the Thighbones will advance to the final.
3. In the final, either Banana Town or the Thighbones will lose a tie with the Phlogistons, and either will win a tie with Hot Bloody Fat.
The Thighbones will have their work cut out for them, but since they only need to force a tie, both series are still up in the air at this point. The Phlogistons have saves locked up, and that's about it - the other nine categories have swung back and forth all week, and could still go either way.
I hope I can hold on for the win. In spite of getting first or second place in the regular season every year we've done this, I still haven't won any playoff series (except for a third place matchup, but that doesn't count). I feel like I need to at least make it to the final this year to validate last year's championship.