Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: False Baseball for the New Generation  (Read 32868 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2010, 10:20:28 pm »

Adam Dunn signs with White Sox.  Fuck yoooooooooouuuuuuuuu, Washington Nationals.

Strasburg basically out for the year, now Dunn gone, apparently because they'd rather have the draft picks they get for him leaving as a free agent.  So we can sign Carlos Peņa and his sub-.200 batting average.

Can anyone tell me why I should renew my season tickets for next year?  Because I, personally, have no idea.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2010, 04:11:01 am »

Probably not really statistically significant that all these ballplayers committed suicide (I ended up here after looking up the USCG).

Fred Bratschi killed himself by drinking battery acid. I bet he was a hell of a ballplayer. Jesus.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2010, 06:05:09 am »

Can anyone tell me why I should renew my season tickets for next year?  Because I, personally, have no idea.

I assume you are a fan of the game and not simply a fan of the Nationals.

I've found it very freeing to not give two shits about the home teams fortunes any longer.  Just tonight for instance I watched the Texans get beat by Philly.  My roommate was losing it because of the Texan's lousy play.  Meanwhile I was enjoying a good game.  Vick may be a scoundrel, but he sure can play football.

So go, enjoy some good baseball.  Who gives a shit if the Nationals suck, you're at a baseball game, life is awesome.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2010, 06:56:36 am »

give away tickets every week and get a bunch of favors owed, which you can then apply toward your rooftop solar panel installation
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #154 on: December 03, 2010, 05:39:03 pm »

I assume you are a fan of the game and not simply a fan of the Nationals.
[...]
So go, enjoy some good baseball.  Who gives a shit if the Nationals suck, you're at a baseball game, life is awesome.

This is true, I am a fan of the game.  I'm not saying I won't go to any games at all next year, I just don't want to buy a 20-game ticket package.  Why should I do that when I can buy tickets at walk-up any time I want, and they often have discount codes available and so on?

Choop, part of my frustration is that last season I couldn't GIVE tickets away sometimes.  Granted, I didn't work as hard as I should trying to unload extra tickets--I should have been pimping them on StubHub and Craigslist and what have you.  But as far as e-mailing friends, posting on Facebook, using the company bulletin board, far too often nobody wanted the tickets at face value, at half-price, or even for free.  Similarly, when I was going to the game and had a spare, nobody wanted to go.  At the start of the season people are all "Yeah, I love to go to the game!  Let me know when you have a ticket!"  But when I ask "How about this Thursday?" suddenly everyone is busy.

(Yes, I have contemplated the idea that my "friends" actually hate me and don't want to hang out.)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #155 on: December 03, 2010, 06:02:32 pm »

so protest with your pocketbook then and don't re-up

when i found out bobby cox had hit his wife on several occasions and the charges were either dropped or never filed, i boycotted turner field. now that he's no longer coach, i'm more open to the idea of going to see the braves, but i'd rather he weren't still on the team's payroll. i can wait it out. the shame of it is i live like a mile and a half from the ballpark.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #156 on: December 03, 2010, 10:40:32 pm »

Well let's see.  My heart was broken when the Oilers left town.  I said fuck Major League Baseball when they couldn't get their shit together and had a strike shortened season.  And I just kinda realized that I don't really like basketball that much.

So I didn't pay any attention to pro sports for about 10 years.  Now I am starting to get into watching football again and I can't deny that I really love baseball, but what keeps me away from the stadium is the price.  It used to be something that a regular Joe could do from time to time.  It's so damn expensive now it's ridiculous.  That and the terrible design of the stadiums.  I believe we've discussed that elsewhere though.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #157 on: December 03, 2010, 10:50:55 pm »

The bonus is not only is it expensive, but many (most?) of the people who go to NFL games are absolute fuckheads.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #158 on: December 03, 2010, 10:59:19 pm »

yeah baseball's crazy cheap compared to football. cheap seats at the ballpark = $20; nosebleeds at the stadium = $80. fuck you, nfl teams, i'll go watch a local college game. that shit's more fun anyway.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #159 on: December 03, 2010, 11:37:23 pm »

cheap seats at the ballpark = $20

+ $10-$15 service fee + $10-$15 to park + $8 for a soda + $6 for a lousy bag of peanuts = $64 x 2 if you take someone with you.

Sitting in a poorly designed stadium that doesn't have clear site lines of the field = priceless.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2010, 12:35:54 am »

Half-season tickets to DC United cost roughly as much as single tickets for the Caps for equivalent seats. And that includes unlimited beer/wine/soda at the tailgate.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2010, 05:03:25 am »

paul i park at the subway station for free, two bucks gets me to the box office at the field where there's no service fee. wipe that $20-30 down to $2 and you can afford a beer or two even at those prices, and i've never seen a seat without a good view of turner field.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #162 on: December 04, 2010, 05:19:58 am »

Well let's see.  My heart was broken when the Oilers left town.  I said fuck Major League Baseball when they couldn't get their shit together and had a strike shortened season.  And I just kinda realized that I don't really like basketball that much.

Can't you see the man has a broken heart? Have some compassion!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2010, 01:47:47 pm »

One is allowed to bring outside food into Nats Park, and a bottle of water (but no other beverages).  Cheapest tickets are $5, next are $10. You can do a game on the super-cheap if you put your mind to it, but yeah, beer is $8.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #164 on: December 05, 2010, 03:05:30 pm »

Colorado Rockies Rockpile: $4.
Pint of Liquor in #####: $5-15.
Coke to put liquor in: $6.

That's not to bad if you get some cheap booze.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up