Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!  (Read 3247 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
« on: February 26, 2010, 04:22:00 pm »

I'm having a family gathering this evening. The plan was barbecue foods -- pulled pork, BBQ chicken, coleslaw.

Then I realized that my parents-in-law, my husband's youngest brother, and his wife are coming.

They're Catholic.

It's Lent.

I'm allergic to seafood.

My instinct is to get some shrimp and have Pedro fry it up quick for the non-meat-eaters tonight, but he doesn't cook and I've never cooked shrimp on account of how I can't eat it. He can follow a recipe if it's very specific and has strict cooking times, and has offered to do so, if I can find one.

Anybody have a good, simple recipe for pan-fried shrimp that would go well with barbecue, that a non-chef can follow?

Alternatively, has anyone had the Gorton's oven-baked popcorn shrimp thingies? Are those OK?

I'm also adding macaroni and cheese to the menu as backup, but it would be nice to have something more main-dishy for the Catholics.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 04:26:50 pm »

Don't pan fry the shrimp.  Just steam it and let everybody peel and eat.  Easy and fun.

To steam the shrimp, put it in a collander over about an inch of boiling water with some Old Bay seasoning in it.  Cover.  Stir.  Do not overcook -- depending on the size of the shrimp, usually about 3 minutes will do it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 04:37:06 pm »

The old bay goes in the water, not on the shrimp?

Odd.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 04:42:49 pm »

Seafood is super easy and quick, so no worries.  In these cases, I typically pick up a nice big salmon fillet, brush it with a mixture of mayo and herbs and broil it 10 min. per inch of thickness (skin side down if it's got the skin on), about 5 inches from the broiler.  Super tasty, super easy, super fast.

P.S. I grew up Catholic and we ate meat at lent - it was never even discussed, even at lunch time in the school cafeteria.  I only learned long after leaving the church that some people did this!  Let me know if any of your in-laws sneak some chicken or pork with their meal - I'm super curious!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 05:06:40 pm »

Let them fast. It purifies the mind and body...or something.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 05:08:01 pm »

Let them fast. It purifies the mind and body...or something.

I'm sure this will go over real well when the rest of us filthy heathens are stuffing our mouths with delicious, mouth-watering pig flesh.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 05:08:14 pm »

to tweak the steamed shrimp, add a bay leaf and a pinch of nutmeg to the water and old bay. and remember: for shellgiraffe in-shell, half a pound per person.

you could, if you feel like splurging, make crab cakes. mayo, mustard, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, crabmeat; combine, shape into patties, dredge in flour, pan-fry.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 05:16:59 pm »

The crabcakes would be perfect, but they're a bit ambitious for Pedro. I think I will try the steamed peel-and-eat.

Thanks for the pounds-per-person suggestion, though - I would have had no idea.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 05:42:39 pm »

The old bay goes in the water, not on the shrimp?

Odd.

You can sprinkle some on after they're done.  If you do it during cooking it'll wash off.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 05:44:23 pm »

The old bay goes in the water, not on the shrimp?

Odd.

Ideally you'd put shrimp-and-crab-boil in the water but you likely don't own any. Regardless extra Old Bay should be provided at the table. For dippin'.

You know you could serve them something actually vegetarian, too. Just a thought. This is my favorite vegetarian dinner, though you'd likely need to at least triple it:

Lemony Chickpea Stir-fry

2 Tbs ghee or olive oil
1 sm onion or a couple shallots, sliced
1 Tbs garlic, minced
1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1 cup baby spinach or chopped hearty green
1 red pepper, roasted, skinned, and chopped
2 small zucchini, cut into semi-circles
zest and juice of half a lemon

Heat 1 T oil over medium-high heat. Add a pinch of salt and the chickpeas. Saute until beginning to color. Add onion and garlic and continue to cook until the chickpeas are deep gold and the onion is translucent.  And greens and cook until wilted. Evacuate everything to a plate.

In the same pan heat remaining oil over medium heat and saute the zucchini until lightly browned. Add the pepper and stir for about a minute. Return chickpea mixture to the pan and stir to combine. Remove from heat and add the juice, zest, and pepper to taste.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 05:47:01 pm »


Lemony Chickpea Stir-fry


I will try this because I love chickpeas and I've got a new stir fry pan that rocks.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 06:56:05 pm »

Crisis averted.

I called one of the parties in attendance, who had planned to bring BBQ Chicken for a guest who doesn't eat pork, and asked her if she knew how to cook seafood. (The non-pork eater does eat shrimp and told me yesterday that she probably won't be there anyway.) Anyway, Friend agreed to make Shrimp Scampi instead, and since she hadn't bought the chicken yet and I happened to be heading to the grocery store anyway I picked up what she needed and saved her a trip.

Worked out nicely. Thanks for your suggestions, tho; had my friend not been so flexible, the steamer recipe would have totally saved my ass.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 01:38:02 am »

Make fiadshs and tchips.


Beautiful.



Foodie bastards.

What 's wron with good simple ogfod.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 03:04:31 am »

Cause if you're not set up for it, deep frying a bunch a stuff is far from simple and is usually pretty messy.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 03:04:43 am »

I don't see any chips. I do see some french fries, however.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up