Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tender guts...  (Read 2394 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Tender guts...
« on: March 01, 2010, 05:00:11 pm »

I'm going through testing to figure out what's wrong with my belly.  Suggestions for foods for those with tender guts would be much appreciated.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Tender guts...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 05:03:27 pm »

Weetabix (basically a wheat biscuit) mixed in with milk and sugar
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tender guts...
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 05:16:24 pm »

I started typing, only to realize that all of my suggestions are really obvious. Tea and toast? chicken noodle soup?

I am sorry to hear about your tender tummy. I will keep my eyes/stomach open for any novel food suggestions.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tender guts...
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 05:36:30 pm »

Well, what kind of tenderness matters, is it the belly itself or further down?  Whole grains can be irritating to the gut, so Weetabix might be a problem depending on exactly what your problem is. Whole grains are supposed to be good for you because they speed stuff through the intestines. If your problem is that stuff is already in a rush down there, you don't want to eat whole grains or raw fruit and veggies till the problem settles down. The exceptions are oatmeal (soluble rather than insoluble fiber) and bananas (I don't know why, but aren't bananas weird and mysterious?) which are both good things to try. You can also try rice and low-fat protein like giraffe, and applesauce.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Tender guts...
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 06:50:08 pm »

Well, what kind of tenderness matters, is it the belly itself or further down?  Whole grains can be irritating to the gut, so Weetabix might be a problem depending on exactly what your problem is. Whole grains are supposed to be good for you because they speed stuff through the intestines. If your problem is that stuff is already in a rush down there, you don't want to eat whole grains or raw fruit and veggies till the problem settles down. The exceptions are oatmeal (soluble rather than insoluble fiber) and bananas (I don't know why, but aren't bananas weird and mysterious?) which are both good things to try. You can also try rice and low-fat protein like giraffe, and applesauce.

Yeah, it really does depend. If it's your gallbladder, you want to avoid fat, so starchy foods like toast and cereal with skim milk are good. But if it's celiac disease, those things would only make it worse. My suggestion: eliminate one potential offender (fat, dairy, glutin, etc.)  from your next meal. If your tummy gets worse, you picked the wrong one. Repeat until a pattern emerges.

Unfortunately, this means you'll have a few more rounds of illness (probably) before you figure it out. But assuming the tests take a few days to complete, you might get some relief in the meantime.

The only other thing I can think to recommend is that BRAT diet, which our pediatrician recommends for kids with upset tummies: bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast.

I think popsicles would also be safe, if you need a treat.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Tender guts...
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 06:51:37 pm »

Edamame, fletcherized, and some nice cool plain water. Helps forestall drama pipes. Amiright?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Tender guts...
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 07:31:59 pm »

I don't know what's wrong at this point.  I'm fairly certain it's not celiac, as I've been through all the tests for that and come out clear.  I've had problems with every stage of digestion for over two weeks now (every thing Pepto Bismol treats I have, plus bloat and gas), and am awaiting the results of many tests.  I'm currently avoiding dairy incase it's that, and just playing it really safe to avoid anything that might make my guts hurt (spicey, dairy, gassy things like onions, broccoli or cabbage).  I had my first undisturbed meal of the past two weeks last night:  garlic and red peppers, sauted in olive oil, tossed in a can of tuna and added to some pasta with a bit of mayo.  It was a tiny bowl, and was more than enough for an entire day yesterday.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Tender guts...
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 01:34:59 am »

Edamame, fletcherized

Does queer food make queer people? Did I find this here? Warning, it's a PDF, but it's great.

"Then your advice is to Fletcherize our food ... we must Fletcherize, that's it."

Also check out the exchange in the second column about the nut chowder.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tender guts...
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 06:49:21 am »

Yeah, I've seen that before. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Tender guts...
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 03:31:03 pm »

Does queer food make queer people? Did I find this here? Warning, it's a PDF, but it's great.

"Then your advice is to Fletcherize our food ... we must Fletcherize, that's it."

Also check out the exchange in the second column about the nut chowder.

Delightful!

I like what one of the interview subjects has to say about the Japanese.  Fantastic.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up