Sorry to keep being flip in the midst of this Serious Discussion. It's just that I find the idea that violent imagery in movies, literature, video games, etc. would inspire someone to commit actual violence ludicrous. However, I do think it possible that folks can learn new techniques from these sources.
This is why I haven't piped in on this discussion so far, despite the fact that I have intense and virulent opinions on the subject - I don't particularly have anything
new to add, and I'd most likely just end up making with the Jerk.
Perhaps, though, you have heard of this "National Institute on Media and the Family" that has made the news lately what with their lazy-mouthed new word for the Video Nasties:
killographic. (I mean, come on, people - let's go all or nothing with the use and abuse of Classical Language Roots here.) They coughed up a list of their
Top Ten Games To Watch Out For (first article, December 8; no direct link available) and this game called Manhunt is Number One With A Bullet, HAR HAR HAR OH MY GOODNESS ETC.
Everything I've read about the game suggests:
It is an excuse to display an overlong and unrealistic Parade of Interesting Killing Methods. The amazon.com page shilling this title uses the progressively less creative "explore(s) the depths of human depravity" phrase no less than
three times.
When I was entering adolescence, there was a feature in the back of selected Punisher annuals called
The Punisher's Fighting Techniques. I thought these fuck*ng
ruled. That said, neither I nor the kids who are going to be playing Manhunt have the strength, agility, or pure bile to pull any of this shit off. It will put ideas into their heads and their little girlfriends' fathers will die a hundred ugly stealth-based deaths.
In their dreamsInterestingly, Number Four on their list is Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball, above frankly ridiculous shit like (again with the!)
Backyard Wrestling. This means that
giving girls presents and
maybe getting a boner is more of a threat to the American psyche and way of life than putting on clown makeup and beating on the neighborhood fat kid with Mom's rake. Explain
that one to me.