I'm pretty good with words, but try as I might, I can not beat Auggie's high score in Scramble on Facebook.
Heh heh.
I play a lot of live Scramble. "Long Words Only 5 x 5" most evenings.
As to crosswords, I go way back with crosswords.
My maternal grandmother, whom I loved dearly, did the crossword in the Louisville
Courier-Journal every day of her life. A standard Christmas present I'd get her as a kid was a Crossword Dictionary. We were very close and that's undoubtedly where I got my affinity for crosswords (and for card playing -- especially bridge and gin rummy).
I used to do a couple of daily puzzles every day in college and law school. Not so much any more. Now I like to do one while I'm watching a ball game. I get bored just watching TV, so I'll do a puzzle to occupy the part of my mind that TV doesn't.
Also, a crossword puzzle magazine is a must for CLE (Continuing Legal Education, two days of which I must have per year) CLE is virtually always unrelated to what I do, delivered in a monotone and god awful boring. Crosswords are lifesavers in that situation. Although in recent years a laptop and a copy of Alpha Centauri has been helpful.
I like NY Times puzzles most and the Sunday one best of those.