Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Numbers Stations  (Read 4786 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Numbers Stations
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 06:30:32 am »

Oh, I love the shit outta those.

Used to listen for them on my dad's shortwave as a kid.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Numbers Stations
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:04:56 am »

I heard about these a few years ago.  It's so cool and eerie.  Very cold war.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Numbers Stations
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 03:11:16 pm »

Yankee.  Hotel. Foxtrot.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Numbers Stations
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 04:07:03 pm »

Yankee.  Hotel. Foxtrot.

Is that where they got that album name from, one of these stations?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Numbers Stations
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 04:34:37 pm »

Indeed.

"Poor Places" is built around shortwave static and the outro involves one of the female English-language counters calling out that YHF combo over and over again.

Invoking paranoia and distance and isolation, you know, a situation where a spy code you could never make sense of on the ham radio is the closest thing you have left to a human connection. Is rad.

It's actually what introduced me to Wilco, "a band sampled a numbers station in a song? I'll have to buy that record".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Numbers Stations
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 05:07:09 pm »

There's a Stereolab song that samples one of these stations as well.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Numbers Stations
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 03:35:20 am »

The dudes from Wilco took that sample, unfortunately, from another dude's number stations recordings called the Conet Project. They didn't just make their own (I am pretty sure that YHF numbers station is still in operation, but I dunno). Like some dude who releases recordings of whales or birdsongs, the Conet dude owned copyright to his recording of a pirate radio station. I guess there was some big lawsuit over paying the Conet dude royalties from "Poor Places".
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Numbers Stations
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 04:08:03 am »

Wait, so this other dude made an exact copy of something and somehow got copyrights and Wilco came along and used it artistically and they had to pay him? cause that is about the most fucked up thing ever.  If he made copies (like, you know, stole the idea and sound) of the stations I can understand that, but if it was just a recording then fuck him.

Also, it is not unfortunate.  I would hope they would use a real one.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Numbers Stations
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 05:26:56 am »

The question DOES lend itself, y'know.

How is any sort of copyright enforceable on a recording of a broadcast that is either illegal or part of an officially disavowed spy mission?

There seems to be some level of fallacy involved here.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Numbers Stations
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 05:44:38 am »

Yeah Poor places rocks ass.

I think I am remembering now that I came to learn about numbers stations when NPR did a story about them, maybe it was This American Life, which became a topic of interest in the wake of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Numbers Stations
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 05:55:30 am »

I found this: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1074687

Could that be it? Haven't listened to it yet but looks interesting.

I couldn't find anything in the archives of This American Life, but if anyone else turns it up, I'd love to hear it. Unrelated, well, maybe related only because it's about radio, is this program on TAL.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Numbers Stations
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 01:57:41 pm »

I once bought a package of blank CD-R's.  Next thing I know I got a letter from John Cage's lawyers saying I'd violated his copyright on 4'33".
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Numbers Stations
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 06:23:42 am »

I once bought a package of blank CD-R's.  Next thing I know I got a letter from John Cage's lawyers saying I'd violated his copyright on 4'33".


Quote from: wikipedia
In July 2002, composer Mike Batt was accused of copyright infringement by the estate of John Cage after crediting his track "A Minute's Silence" as being written by "Batt/Cage". Batt initially vowed to fight the suit, even going so far as to claim that his piece is "a much better silent piece. I have been able to say in one minute what Cage could only say in four minutes and thirty-three seconds." Batt told The Independent that "My silence is original silence, not a quotation from his silence." Batt eventually settled out of court for an undisclosed six figure sum in September 2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%2733%22#References_by_other_artists
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up