Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alex Chilton, man  (Read 1622 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Alex Chilton, man
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 02:34:24 am »

-pours homebrew on the floor- RIP Alex
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Alex Chilton, man
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 03:28:42 am »

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:10:21 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Alex Chilton, man
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 04:59:06 am »

My dad saw the Monks when they were playing on Air Force Bases in Germany and today he sent me a message asking if I knew of Big Star.  I was all, oh hell yeah, who hasn't they're great e.t.c.  Well, along with living on an air force base in germany, he went to military school in Tennessee, and apparently hung out with Chilton when he was in the Box Tops, I guess they were a teen band?  It was weird, I had never heard of the Box Tops and he had never heard of Big Star.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Alex Chilton, man
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 05:24:26 am »

It's funny, I dismissed Big Star for several years because I knew it was the dude from the Box Tops.  I like The Letter and all, but I couldn't see that dude as being such a major figure.

I've been listening to Big Star a lot the past couple of days.  I wish I had more of Alex's music.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Alex Chilton, man
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:18:20 pm »

he went to military school in Tennessee, and apparently hung out with Chilton when he was in the Box Tops, I guess they were a teen band?  It was weird, I had never heard of the Box Tops and he had never heard of Big Star.

You recognize this, right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD9mCp8SifM

I think it's really their only hit.

Edit: Right, so I read Inev's edit where he posted this same video after I posted it, so, sorry for the unnecessary post.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:26:25 am by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Alex Chilton, man
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 07:50:04 am »

I think it's really their only hit.

Yeah, but it was a huge hit and then it was a hit again.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up