Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.  (Read 6258 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« on: March 26, 2010, 05:23:34 pm »

As before, you can only pick one.  NO EXCEPTIONS.

I say Paint it Black.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 05:51:41 pm »

She Smiled Sweetly
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 06:20:32 pm »

Sympathy for the Devil
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 06:40:17 pm »

Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 07:26:59 pm »

"Gimmie Shelter"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 07:39:00 pm »

Hmm, that's a tough one.

I'll go with Sympathy for the Devil.

I can't regain the impact it had on me when I first heard it back in the day.  It seemed so evil and raunchy to me back then.

Also, it kicks off my favorite Stones album.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 07:47:21 pm by pmcd9 »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 08:01:56 pm »

Ooh, I have a good story about "Sympathy."  When my band cut one of our EPs, we had an "album release party" at our house.  Keg of beer, play the tape at 10 (exactly one person bothered to listen to it), then we did an acoustic set at 11.  We did two of our songs, and then we did "Sympathy," with the bassist on guitar (our guitarist was out of town, wasn't even there), the drummer on bongos, and me singing the lyrics off a piece of paper (I was familiar enough with the song, but didn't have the words memorized).

One of my absolute favorite memories of my time as a musician:  singing "GUESS MY NAME!" as loud as I could (no microphone) in the basement of our house, with fifty people jumping up and down and singing "WHOO HOOOOO!"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 08:18:59 pm »

Paint It Black
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 09:42:23 pm »

Mr Trout, I love you.

I really really love "Miss You," because I am a sucker for songs about being lonely, and walking around alone late at night and not knowing why.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 11:28:16 pm »

Angie.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 12:48:48 am »

I'll say Satisfaction, because someone ought to.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 01:53:02 am »

Man this is tougher than the Beatles. I'm gonna go with Sway.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 05:52:52 am »

I could never do the beatles one, but this is easy.  Yesterday's Papers.  I could listen to early Stones forever.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 06:13:18 am »

I'm going to be Mr. Boring Mainstream guy and say Jumping Jack Flash. Probably just because it was one of the first Stones songs I heard but none of their other tracks quite grab me by the shoulders and say 'GET THE HELL UP. A PARTY IS HAPPENING.'
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 12:51:24 pm »

I was going to say "Sympathy for the Devil," but then August reminded me of "Paint it Black" and I realized that SftD isn't better, just better known.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up