Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.  (Read 6279 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 02:01:33 pm »

Of course, no one picks newer Stones (newer being a relative term), but I will confess a soft spot for "Hang Fire" and "She's So Cold."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 02:05:28 pm »

Speaking of which, "Mixed Emotions."

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 05:19:57 pm »

Pizza Burnin
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 06:26:12 pm »

I was going to say "Sympathy for the Devil," but then August reminded me of "Paint it Black" and I realized that SftD isn't better, just better known.

Really?  That Can't be true.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 07:37:37 pm »

Gimme Shelter.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 11:58:19 pm »

Really?  That Can't be true.

I dunno, all I know is that Wierd Al incorporated "Sympathy" into the Hot Rocks Polka, but left out "Paint it Black." That's *got* to count for something.

Also, I kind of really like "Beast of Burden."  Is that weird?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 12:04:02 am »

Also, I kind of really like "Beast of Burden."  Is that weird?

Only if being normal is weird.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 03:36:52 am »

Gimme Shelter.

The best for singing along to when driving to drown out the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 04:05:54 am »

"Beast of Burden" 
Pizza Burnin


i actually called Sympathy on p1 but the stones have been on my mind, and i sang "i'll never be your pizza burnin" in the car yesterday

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 05:20:24 am »

I dunno, all I know is that Wierd Al incorporated "Sympathy" into the Hot Rocks Polka, but left out "Paint it Black." That's *got* to count for something.

Yeah, I guess you're right, we're talking about the Stones here and even a monster hit like Paint it Black can be a b side on their greatest hits disc.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 07:05:05 am »

Chalk up another vote for "Paint it Black."

Greg Gumbel votes for "Brown Sugar."  I'm not sure how I should feel about that.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 03:39:43 pm »

will someone please clear up something for me?  is "brown sugar" an homage to smack or lovin' from a black lady?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 04:21:38 pm »

from wikipedia:

Quote
The lyrical subject matter has often been a point of interest and controversy. Described by rock critic Robert Christgau as "a rocker so compelling that it discourages exegesis",[4]  "Brown Sugar"'s popularity indeed often overshadowed its scandalous lyrics, which were essentially a pastiche of a number of taboo subjects, including interracial sex, cunnilingus, slave  rape, and less distinctly, sadomasochism, lost virginity, and heroin.

So, yes on both fronts I suppose.

I'm surprised no one has brought in the love for You Can't Always Get What you Want.  My vote is still for Angie though.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 02:31:12 am »

I was listening to a bunch of Stones lately and 'Under my thumb' came up, which I'd never heard before and, damn, there's a values gap there. Unless it was meant to be ironic, maybe?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: OK then, which is the best Rolling Stones song.
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 05:29:55 am »

I was listening to a bunch of Stones lately and 'Under my thumb' came up, which I'd never heard before and, damn, there's a values gap there. Unless it was meant to be ironic, maybe?

Who knows man, Mick Jagger was like 20 when he wrote that, but in his life he's had women all around the globe and he's got about 20 children.  He's definitely not a one woman kinda guy.  He's also written a lot of misogyny filled songs in his career.

Remember when they got in trouble for this image?

I would like to know how it's possible to have never heard this song.  That almost seems inconceivable to me.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up