Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What's with people that need to touch a computer screen when they point at it?  (Read 5594 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Logged
ACHIEVE

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

This is like people who touch the glass on the zoo exhibits. Don't they realize someone has to clean up those fingerprints?

But you know, I now have a job where the computers have touch screens. I can't get used to using them and always use the penis instead. But I wonder if likewise, the people who touch them all day at work, can't get used to not touching them in other contexts.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile

i only touch other peoples' monitors. if they can't figure out what they need to click without me dragging my ass to their desk to point it out, then they can wipe my smooshyprints off their LCD. we have a user manual, people, you do not need to pull a senior developer out of programming mode.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile

RDP is slower than walking down the hall to the office of the morons in question
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile

actually that's all in the past now that i work from home in a city across the country from the home office
smug.gif
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm

I don't touch screens because I don't like leaving smudges (just kind of rude, you know?), but I haven't really noticed that it's a thing with some people, either. TOUAMB. Education.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile

Theory: people who touch computer screens are the same people who bring the monitor with them when they go to the computer shop when they are having hard drive troubles.  This excludes the aforementioned touch screen people.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

Oh fuck no. I have a $9,000 workstation that I call "The Precious". If anybody's greasy-ass mitt gets anywhere close to my dual-screen 24s, you had better believe they get their paw smacked the fuck away from my displays.

God. Those people are such cretins. It reminds me of the fucktards in my intro-to-architecture class during my undergrad days who dared to TOUCH OTHER PEOPLE'S DRAWINGS during juries. Have some dignity.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:30:28 am by linnea »
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile

At church a couple of weeks ago I saw a baby in a carseat/carrier with a tag hanging from the handle that read, "Please wash your hands before holding me! Thanks!"

On the one hand (no pun intended), hanging a "wash hands" sign on your kid seems a little ridiculous to me. On the other hand, when my kids were babies, I was shocked at the number of people who would reach into the carrier or stroller to pick up my child without asking if it was OK.

I mean, these are people at church, not random strangers on the street, but if I don't know your last name, you're not holding my kid. Sorry.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

Back in college I was standing in line for a flu shot. The guy behind me was blind and had a seeing eye dog with that special handle device. Attached to the handle was a sign that said "please ask before you pet me." Which seemed kind of obvious to me. This is a highly trained animal with a specialized function. I would not expect it to react the same way as a dog tied up outside a Starbucks and just go straight in for a head pat.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

Seriously, people should not touch ANY dog without asking first. Touching an assistance dog is a good way to distract it from its work, but touching any random pet dog is a good way to get yourself bitten. My dogs enjoy being mauled by strangers but many do not.

As for babies - I wouldn't even pick up a puppy without asking. If I had a baby and someone went to pick it up without asking I would probably automatically knock them to the ground. What are people thinking?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

Back in college I was standing in line for a flu shot. The guy behind me was blind and had a seeing eye dog with that special handle device. Attached to the handle was a sign that said "please ask before you pet me." Which seemed kind of obvious to me. This is a highly trained animal with a specialized function. I would not expect it to react the same way as a dog tied up outside a Starbucks and just go straight in for a head pat.

Most seeing-eye dogs that I've seen have a similar message on their working harness. The thing about seeing-eye dogs is that they're working. Kids running in and distracting them is bad. Their owners have to work with them a lot to ignore distractions so that the dog stays focused, and the visually-impaired person can stay safe. it is also my understanding that the dogs are also continually undergoing training, and it will confuse them if they have their work harness on, and then they suddenly get heaped with praise for something random. Plus, kids need to be taught for their own safety that they cannot just go up and start petting a strange dog. It's common courtesy to ask, and especially because you don't want to distract a working dog.

I don't have any kids, but part of the reason why I don't have any is that I would freak the fuck out if some random person just grabbed my child like they were public property. Don't get me started on weirdos who think they are entitled to touch pregnant women without asking. Jesus. That is so wrong.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

I pet strange dogs all the time.  Dogs fuck*ng love to be petted.  If their owners don't like it (this has never happened to me to my knowledge) then they can kiss my ass for being uptight assholes.

Petting a work dog for the blind is another story.  That would be like holding your hand in front of their face or something.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile

Dogs do love to be petted, and I do love to pet dogs, but...I'd probably still ask, to be polite.

However, if your dog is tied up outside the store or whatever, I'm going to (attempt to) pet him, and you can't stop me.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

Seriously, not all dogs love to be petted by strangers. Some of my best friends are dogs who do not like to be petted by strangers. And some people who own dogs like this are stupid enough to leave them tied up alone.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up