Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Wednesday Night Cookery  (Read 16323 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Wednesday Night Cookery
« on: April 22, 2010, 09:16:12 pm »

So, we have talked a lot about recipes that are epicurean and recipes that are grelicious, but we haven't talked much about regular weekday "I gotta feed this family something" kinds of meals. Stuff that's cheap, takes less than an hour, makes use of convenience foods, and tastes good. Also, relatively healthy (as compared to hot dogs and hamburger helper). Not "diet food," but good nutritious meals like Mom used to make, but perhaps with less cream of mushroom soup.

I read somewhere that most family cooks repeat the same 10 - 15 meals over and over, and I'm wondering what recipes y'all keep going back to in your kitchens. I thought I'd start a thread about it and get you guys to share.

I've made a list of my favorite 14 standbys and stuck an ingredients list (broken down by recipe, omitting stock items like milk, butter, and eggs) in the back of my planner so that when I'm at the grocery store at 11 PM trying to figure out what we're going to eat this week I always have something to fall back on. Here's one of my favorites, super-cheap and super-fast.

Chicken and Apricot Couscous

1 ½ c. chicken broth
1 c. whole wheat couscous
¼ c. green onion, sliced
4 – 6 dried apricots, coarsely chopped
1 large (12 – 16 oz) can cooked chicken breast
¼ c. cashews, chopped
½ tsp. Cinnamon
¼ tsp. Nutmeg

1. In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil.
2. Stir in couscous, green onion, apricots, and chicken breast. Cover and remove from heat.
3. Let stand 5 minutes until broth is absorbed. Add cashews and spices; stir to combine.
4. Serve in bowls.

To make it vegetarian-friendly, omit the chicken and substitute vegetable broth or water for the chicken broth. (If you use water, you may want to add a little dried thyme to the boiling water just before adding the couscous.)

This is also great paired with a fresh green salad. It can also be served cold and makes a nice potluck dish.

If you have leftovers, you can make a great soup by heating 1 cup of chicken broth for every 1/2 cup of leftover couscous and stirring them together when the broth is hot. Don't add the couscous before you heat the broth; otherwise the pasta will absorb all the liquid and it will get sort of sludgy.

The best part of this recipe is that, except for the green onions (which are nice but not essential), all the ingredients are nonperishable. So you can stock up when things go on sale and whip this up in a flash when you get home at 5:30 and realize that you forgot to defrost the chicken.

Your turn. Gimmie, gimmie.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:34:11 pm »

Fried rice. Make your rice ahead and it goes together in 30 minutes including prep.

I like to use mushrooms, onions, carrots, baby bok choi, and chicken (leftovers are great, raw works well too; dice it). It's a simple stir-fry, just cook the hardest stuff (carrots) longest and take the veg out to cook the chicken and use soy sauce instead of salt. If anybody wants a real recipe I'm happy to share but I'm having a hooky day so I don't want to be at the computer too long right now.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:38:11 pm »

I want my baby bok, baby bok, baby bok-

I want my baby bok, baby bok, baby bok-

I want my baby bok, baby bok, baby bok... choi.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:41:21 pm »

Oh, yes. I had almost forgotten, I used to make this based loosely on a recipe I found in the cookbook my Mom got me when I was in college. It was called, "Help, My Apartment Has a Kitchen."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 10:44:28 pm »

Oh, yes. I had almost forgotten, I used to make this based loosely on a recipe I found in the cookbook my Mom got me when I was in college. It was called, "Help, My Apartment Has a Kitchen."

I own this book. I hate bean dip but the recipe for it from this book always results in an empty bowl at parties.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 11:32:28 pm »

When we can't think of anything else we make spaghetti carbonara. Beat a couple of eggs, grate a whole lot of parmesan into it, toss with hot spaghetti the instant you drain it, grate on black pepper and more cheese.

Because we fell in with a crowd of vegetarians in our youth, we made this for years with sauteed onions and peppers added to it, before discovering that it is actually supposed to have PORK.  Like a little pancetta or something, just enough to flavor it. Which is a really good idea. But pancetta is not something we tend to have in the house without going to the store, so it is convenient that I am used to doing without it in this dish.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 12:07:54 am »

I use my slow cooker just about every Saturday. I fix it up while Friday's meal is in the oven or whatever.

Pulled pork is so easy. Toss a pork roast (I like tenderloin when I can get it on sale) in the crock pot, cook the shit out of it for 5 hours, shred it, douse it with a whole bottle of your favorite sauce (sweet baby ray's for the win) and cook it an hour more, serve on buns. Maybe toss in some diced onions if you got some handy; otherwise get yourself a bag of slaw mix and some mayo and turn down tha heat.

We're doing this on Saturday.

Meat loaf in the slow cooker? Never tried that. Do you have to make it extra-moist or anything? Or does it make its own gravy?

Pan-fried or grilled steak is so easy it barely even counts. In the spring I like ham steaks, too, with a little pineapple glaze.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 12:55:50 am »


Pulled pork is so easy. Toss a pork roast (I like tenderloin when I can get it on sale) in the crock pot, cook the shit out of it for 5 hours, shred it, douse it with a whole bottle of your favorite sauce (sweet baby ray's for the win) and cook it an hour more, serve on buns. Maybe toss in some diced onions if you got some handy; otherwise get yourself a bag of slaw mix and some mayo and turn down tha heat.


The cheaper pork roasts actually work better for this, in my experience.  Boston Butt has lots of marbling that cooks down into luscious gelatin.  Loins are too easy to cook the moisture out of -- they're a high heat meat.

We probably have dinner together these days once or twice a week, almost always on the weekend so I have time to cook if I need it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 01:06:09 am »

The cheaper pork roasts actually work better for this, in my experience.  Boston Butt has lots of marbling that cooks down into luscious gelatin.  Loins are too easy to cook the moisture out of -- they're a high heat meat.

We probably have dinner together these days once or twice a week, almost always on the weekend so I have time to cook if I need it.

Do you think? I've only used a pork roast once, and I found it pretty dry at the end of the day. It wasn't Boston Butt, though.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 01:08:22 am »

Boston Butt for as long as you can stand to cook it.  10 - 12 hours if you want.  I promise.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 03:13:32 am »

One of my jobs is to have three meals on the kitchen whiteboard by Saturday morning each week. Spouse and the oldest Boy come up with the rest. That way the weekend shopping can be planned out and everyone gets some input on meals.

GENIUS. i will be implementing this come the weekend.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 03:37:17 am »

Tangentially related but I don't want to start a new thread. Does anybody happen to have Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian?
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 03:58:38 am »

dont forget to have breakfast for evening meal every now and again.  easy and rad.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 10:41:25 pm »

we eat a lot of pasta with tomato sauce. lately, without meat. Yesterday we had an argument that could have gone real badly, because my roommate questioned why I was buying sauce in a jar. "we can just make our own sauce, and it's so much cheaper."
The response was something like, no, my mom can make sauce that is a lot cheaper, and better. When you make pasta sauce it is like eating hell. SO BAD. I don't understand what he is doing wrong, but it's just like... oily tomato chunks.

but I decided to Shut Up and Eat It. (I still got one jar of sauce, though, and said it was for days that I make dinner for myself.)

 
the best though is this spaghetti with spicy sausage my good friend makes. that is delicious.

I can't think of any Recipes that I make. Spaghetti Carbonara is my very favorite food, maybe I will make that soon.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 10:44:34 pm »

we eat a lot of pasta with tomato sauce. lately, without meat. Yesterday we had an argument that could have gone real badly, because my roommate questioned why I was buying sauce in a jar. "we can just make our own sauce, and it's so much cheaper."

Fresh tomatoes must be a hell of lot cheaper in STL than they are here.  A fuck*ng jar of Ragu is about $1.29.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up