Any of you guys read any TC Boyle?
I think his writing style is going to make me jump out a window. This book is alternating between late 60s and the 1600s, and the parts set in the sixties are fine. But in the 1600s he can't help but use Dutch words instead of English words, and explain every damn thing like it's a sci-fi novel. "Pieter grabbed the woorkhoe the Van Geelder's had given him after last Bedanksgiverning, walking along the Oppomotowok ridge towards the Hudson River (which was called the Norte River then). He went to visit Van Woorten, the cynosure of all New Amsterdam."
I mean, he does it better than that. But it is killing me. I can see why my girlfriend loves this, her writing has a similar thing where sometimes it crosses the line into seeming like she wants you to count all the big words she knows.
I don't know, he is an author people like and she's been published and awarded so maybe I'm just grumpy.