Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 36573 times)

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 472
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 11:43:42 pm »

I own all of those books (quicksilver, etc) but gave up halfway through the second. I need to try again.

this summer, I am going to read so many books, in between applying to every job that exists.
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

• Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10026
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 04:10:05 am »

I just finished this about a week ago. I was really worried early on that it would boil down to "Batman did it"

Fuck, that's the one! Thank you! I was watching The Venture Bros. the other day and remembered that someone had mentioned the show and the book in the same post. I couldn't remember what exactly the comparison was and I couldn't for the life of me remember the title, but somehow your Batman comment triggered it. This is going on my list.

I just finished Brighton Rock which took me a while because I haven't been giving myself much time to read. Also I've been reading a bunch of comics. Though I'm behind on all of them so I need to go see if I can find some back issues. Has anyone read Chew?

Next in my stack of books is some Evelyn Waugh, but I might change things up a bit and go straight for Soon I Will Be Invincible. And this girl I've been seeing is going to make me read Quicksilver once she finishes it, and after reading this thread that feels right.
I was decaying inside from postponed consequences. - Walter Kirn

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 763
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 12:38:07 pm »

I wouldn't bother with the Baroque Cycle unless you like pirates, physics and economics.   And swords.  And alchemy.  And chemistry.  And harem girls. Oh, and cryptography, of course.  Can't have a Stephenson novel without cryptography, can you?
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

• Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 337
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
    • Rarely updated random quotes
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 01:23:43 pm »

I wouldn't bother with the Baroque Cycle unless you like pirates, physics and economics.   And swords.  And alchemy.  And chemistry.  And harem girls. Oh, and cryptography, of course.  Can't have a Stephenson novel without cryptography, can you?

This reminds me of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. You can read that book without visiting the website annotating it just fine so long as you are versed in Dominican Republic Spanish, The Simpsons, D&D, DR politics/history, Dune, and pro wrestling.

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 01:49:43 am »

Just started listening to The Lightning Thief. Not as well-written as Harry Potter, and of course knowing the premise from film trailers ruins the first hour, but really an interesting concept.
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

• Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 12:12:38 pm »

I'm about halfway through The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I didn't see the movie but I did read this comic. Which made me want to read it.
I like it so far but I'm not sure where it's going or if it might just be a really big piece of world building. Which I wouldn't mind, since I like world building.
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

greenkoolayd

• VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 03:03:03 pm »

I'm about halfway through The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I didn't see the movie but I did read this comic. Which made me want to read it.
I like it so far but I'm not sure where it's going or if it might just be a really big piece of world building. Which I wouldn't mind, since I like world building.

word has it that mr mccarthey was a poster on assbar.  im looking foreword to the book, regardless.
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

• Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 604
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 07:58:50 pm »

I'm reading a book titled Continental Drift by Russel Banks.  It was recommended by the guy at the bookstore, but so far I'm not liking it much.  Anybody read this one?
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 03:23:25 pm »

Pedro just finished The Time Traveler's Wife, and said it was incredibly good, but that I should not read it because it will make me feel terrible.
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

• Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 04:20:43 pm »

I read that a few years ago after my mum read it and passed it on.
It kind of reminded me of a classic sci fi novel in that it just takes one new idea and then the rest is about how that idea affects human relationships. I didn't find it as great as a lot of people did though.
Hell of a harsh ending though.
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

schnitzelbank

• Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 07:34:34 am »

I have a stack of non-fiction eating my brain right now. I am tempted to read all the Dianna Wynne Jones books again. An NPR story on Stieg Larsson has me thinking of reading his books, and some magical realism by way of Isabel Allende sounds good. Oh wonk books, why must you be in the way and so full of information I need?

Mr Trout

• Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2010, 02:13:23 am »

I've been reading the Foundation novels by Isaac Asimov. They are so badass. Set 12,000 years in the future, the series is about the fall of the galactic empire told over the course of a thousand years, and the subsequent rise of the second galactic empire. Apparently the fall of the Roman empire was his big inspiration for the story. It is some of the best sci-fi I've read.

Choop

• Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2010, 02:31:05 am »

i've read the entire foundation series. the first book is the best, and from there until the third from last (tenth?) each is not quite as good as the prior. the first three make a good trilogy. the last three make a good concluding trilogy. the rest, between, i felt were basically filler that basically just provide backstory between the good opening three and the good closing three.

i just started a book by sinclair lewis called "it can't happen here" written in 1935 about the rise of fascism in the u.s. it's a novel. i nodded off on page two, but i'm attributing that to the beer i had with lunch and the four pages of introduction i read before deciding "that's enough of that" and skipped to page 1.
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2010, 03:29:37 am »

I've been reading the Foundation novels by Isaac Asimov. They are so badass. Set 12,000 years in the future, the series is about the fall of the galactic empire told over the course of a thousand years, and the subsequent rise of the second galactic empire. Apparently the fall of the Roman empire was his big inspiration for the story. It is some of the best sci-fi I've read.

I haven't read the Foundation books, but I completely fell in love with the ***** trilogy a while back. I have a complete set of the Foundation books, they're on my list of books to read before I die.

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 763
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2010, 03:54:52 am »

I haven't read the Foundation books, but I completely fell in love with the ***** trilogy a while back. I have a complete set of the Foundation books, they're on my list of books to read before I die.

I read the first couple, or maybe the first trilogy.  The first was great, after that they kind of decreased in enjoyment for me.
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23   Go Up