Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 92601 times)

0 Members and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #195 on: March 17, 2013, 04:10:35 am »

and so is reamde. same universe, different series. semantics.

How is reamde about the gold?  There's no gold in reamde. 

The gold that everybody is chasing after in Crypto is literally the same gold that everybody's chasing after in Baroque Cycle, right?

I'd argue that Baroque Cycle : Crypto :: Hobbit : LOTR.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #196 on: March 17, 2013, 04:11:11 am »

Please tell me that when you say "working on" you mean "writing."

I wish.  Just reading.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2013, 05:13:56 am »

Please tell me that when you say "working on" you mean "writing."

No, but he is searching for a heart of gold.. in the Baroque Cycle, or something.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #198 on: May 01, 2013, 12:33:11 am »

Debt, the First 5000 Years is absolutely fantastic. The anthropological history of the idea of "debt." I am just getting to the part where it gets all Political, so we'll see. I'm either going to stop liking the book, or develop some opinions no one likes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #199 on: May 01, 2013, 02:39:28 am »

So I wonder if I'm gonna wind up liking this Billy Pilgrim dude.

So it goes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #200 on: May 08, 2013, 01:45:13 am »

Anyone have a good lead on a book for a mother from a son on mother's day? As expected all the sales are on <12 boys. My mums needs a long book. She reads pathologically on the pool.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #201 on: May 08, 2013, 01:55:15 pm »

No one? No one has a book for mom day?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #202 on: May 08, 2013, 02:01:02 pm »

I'm such a curmudgeon about books these days that I can't think of anything I've read lately that I'd actually recommend.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #203 on: May 08, 2013, 02:05:21 pm »

just go to a local bookstore and find something by tony bourdain or some other food writer she doesn't already hate
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #204 on: May 08, 2013, 03:57:31 pm »

No one? No one has a book for mom day?

Carrie?
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2013, 06:13:12 pm »

I'm such a curmudgeon about books these days that I can't think of anything I've read lately that I'd actually recommend.
I bought her your book for pool reading. She said it was slow. Slow for 'pool reading'
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2013, 06:36:34 pm »

Well that gives us an idea of her tastes. What can we all come up with that is more what the literary agents refer to as "relentlessly plotted"?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2013, 06:44:09 pm »

She digs on anything erin brockovich writes, but has recently expressed a renewed interest in Grisham novels. Help me help her.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2013, 07:02:15 pm »

Hmm, mostly I like things that are more humorous. Has she read Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2013, 08:10:59 pm »

Hmm, mostly I like things that are more humorous. Has she read Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books?

Along the same lines, The Spellman Files series is good.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24   Go Up