Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 92629 times)

0 Members and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #210 on: May 08, 2013, 08:12:14 pm »

I know literally nothing about it, but it seems like ever ovary-containing person I know is reading or just read Gone Girl.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #211 on: May 08, 2013, 08:32:53 pm »

Gone Girl it is. HAPPY MOM DAY!
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #212 on: May 30, 2013, 11:25:12 am »


As pictured:
The Professional - WC Heinz
Under the Volcano - Malcolm Lowry
All The King's Men - Robert Warren
The Physics of Wall Street - James Owen Weatherall - I'm on another message board with this dork
Plainsong - Haruf ( I bought this and the following mostly for my mom who I will be offloading most of my collection for 'pool reading' )
Rabbit, Run - John Updike
The Spy Who Came In From From The Cold - John Le Carre
U.S.A. - trilogy of the 42nd parallel, 1919, and The Big Money - John dos Passos -Bible print, bible thin pages, probably better reading than the bible

And a bio of andy carnegie

Not Pictured - reading now - Women - Bukowski


Summer reading list
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:41:19 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #213 on: May 30, 2013, 11:32:34 am »

The Professional is near the top of my reading list, too. I'll be curious to know what you think.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #214 on: May 30, 2013, 11:45:17 am »

The Professional is near the top of my reading list, too. I'll be curious to know what you think.
Give me your addy on PM and I'll send it over if you want.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #215 on: May 30, 2013, 02:34:32 pm »

Under the Volcano - Malcolm Lowry

Never read the book, but the movie with Albert Finney is pretty darn good.
Quote
All The King's Men - Robert Warren
Robert Penn Warren is from Guthrie, Kentucky, a village on the periphery of Hopkinsville, the town where I grew up.


Quote
Rabbit, Run - John Updike
The Spy Who Came In From From The Cold - John Le Carre

Updike is great.  Le Carre is also great.  Spy... is probably his first great book.  If you like him, you should really read the :) trilogy (Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; The Honourable Schoolboy; and :)'s People) which are frigging amazing.


Quote
U.S.A. - trilogy of the 42nd parallel, 1919, and The Big Money - John dos Passos -Bible print, bible thin pages, probably better reading than the bible

Always meant to read this. Working on Infinite Jest at the moment.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:44:24 pm by AugustWest »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #216 on: May 30, 2013, 08:31:57 pm »

I'm still reading Sherlock Holmes tales. I've just started a really interesting one involving Moriarty.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #217 on: May 31, 2013, 01:47:55 am »

Give me your addy on PM and I'll send it over if you want.

Thanks for the offer, that's really cool of you. I have a copy though. Just curious to hear your thoughts when you're done. When I say "near the top of my reading list," for any book it could mean there are 10 ahead of it. But if someone who generally has good taste is enthusiastic about a book it may get bumped to next in line.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #218 on: May 31, 2013, 11:44:24 am »

Well its more of an open invitation. I have too many books. I just recently unloaded a few dozen Microeconomics textbooks.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #219 on: May 31, 2013, 12:27:15 pm »

Hey a book trading thread could be interesting. Or just post books you want to get rid of in this thread and people can PM you.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2013, 12:44:27 pm »

Hey a book trading thread could be interesting. Or just post books you want to get rid of in this thread and people can PM you.
I concur
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #221 on: July 26, 2013, 07:49:35 am »

Jeez louise I am still reading so much. Now I am on a fiction kick. 100 Years of Solitude, Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Crime and Punishment. All great. Just got a bunch of sci-fi and fantasy stuff I remember liking as a kid. Ursula K Le Guin and Larry Niven.

Like I said before, this thing has somehow made a mental pattern happen that hasn't happened in a long time-- I try to find any chance to read during the day. If I know I have to be somewhere, I try to get there early so I can read. That is SICK.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #222 on: July 26, 2013, 06:07:17 pm »

I was in this 4000 level s american literature course.  We were supposed to read a book every week.  The only one I didn't read was 100 years of solitude (I think we had 2 weeks for this one, to be fair), should I?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #223 on: July 26, 2013, 06:09:47 pm »

Also, The Seven Madmen by Roberto Arlt is a really good book...just putting that out there.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #224 on: July 26, 2013, 09:14:20 pm »

I am really enjoying it, the magical realism is done in a way I am really into. A lot of the time that stuff is not my bag, but it seems like the South Americans got it down. In the shrouded world of an unspecified historic era mysterious happenings occur and are no more or less strange than imperialism or living out of touch with everyone you've ever known in a strange far away land.

Reflecting on my own family's origin as "south American imperialists" as my roommate's girlfriend so sensitively put it. It is weird, every story I know from that half of my heritage is bizarre and magical. My dad's family has working hard in factories and industrial accidents, but my mama's people killed indigenes and were driven insane by ghosts and stuff. Compared to all that my grandparents coming here on a plane with 2 suitcases and 2 kids seems like a boring conclusion.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24   Go Up