Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 92782 times)

0 Members and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #225 on: July 27, 2013, 02:50:02 am »

I've never really been a non fiction reader, but due to a strange chain of events I'm reading a fascinating history of the Civil War 'Battle Cry of Freedom.'

It started when I watched 'The Outsiders' a couple of months ago. I decided that I had waited long enough. It was time to read the book, which I did and enjoyed very much. I had never read Gone With the Wind because it just seemed like a grandiose romance novel to me. But when Ponyboy and Johnny are hidden away and they're reading it to one another I decided that if it was okay for these tough guys then it would be okay for me too, so I read that next. Well it turns out it really is a grandiose romance novel, but it's much more than that as well. One things for certain, it definitely presents a stilted view of the civil war era. So I felt like I needed to cleanse my palate with some actual history. And that's where the textbook comes in.

I almost went with Civil War: A Narative by Shelby Foote, which was at or near the top of every best of list I looked at. But one review said "Foote displays the novelist’s eye for story and character." I thought, "nope, I just want the facts without a lot of flourish." So I'm concurrently watching Ken Burns series on the Civil War and who is their main historian commentator, but Shelby Foote. And yes, he is very eloquent. If I'm still interested in the Civil War when I am finished with the first book I may read this one as well.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #226 on: July 27, 2013, 03:56:24 am »

If it's good enough for Ponyboy, it's good enough for me.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2013, 12:32:06 pm »

The next time someone says "The Civil War was not about slavery, it was about states rights" which I've heard a shocking number of times, I'm just gonna laugh in their face* and say "looks like someone got their history from Gone With the Wind."

*I already do that much.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #228 on: July 27, 2013, 03:55:59 pm »

I got in trouble in 11th grade for telling the teacher she was full of shit.  I was a lot more outspoken then.  But seriously, they should not be teaching kids that.

Also, now I just say, yeah, states rights to own slaves.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2013, 04:55:51 pm »

The next time someone says "The Civil War was not about slavery, it was about states rights" which I've heard a shocking number of times, I'm just gonna laugh in their face* and say "looks like someone got their history from Gone With the Wind."

*I already do that much.

The amount of crushing persecution complex that comes out of southerners is honestly one of the things I have the most trouble wrapping my mind around. When I point this out I'm told "THE WINNERS WRITE HISTORY!". To be fair I went to the last southern gentlemen's school in America so my sample is skewed.

PS: The guy who was most hardcore in the rebel reenactment anti-yankee scene became one of my best friends until he moved in to the forest and died under mysterious circumstances.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:00:09 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #230 on: July 29, 2013, 01:57:34 pm »

I believe you are referring to the War of Southern Ignorance.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #231 on: July 29, 2013, 04:48:38 pm »

A lot of my friends who are not from the south also seem to have been mis-educated on this topic. Spouting some BS about how it was really about two economic systems in conflict and people in the north were racist too and blah blah. Come on guys, hove some dignity.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #232 on: August 06, 2013, 07:32:11 pm »

Open Veins of Latin America is kind of ruining any romantic ideas I had about that part of my family. They are the bad guys of history. Latin American mine owners are not the good guys. The idea of my great-grandma riding around the Andes on a donkey carrying a shotgun is a lot less charming than I thought.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #233 on: August 06, 2013, 08:32:41 pm »

Soon I Will Be Invincible

That was kinda bitchin'. Quite enjoyed it.

I picked up David Wong's "This Book Is Full of Spiders" and it's pretty good so far. I don't know that anything could match "John Dies at the End," which I first read in the serialized web format. I seriously lost an entire day at work reading that thing. Now it's been pulled down and made into a book (and also a movie); can't say as I blame him, might as well make a buck or two off of it. But the sequel is decent so far.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #234 on: August 06, 2013, 10:11:28 pm »

Did you see the movie? It's one that the Tech Staff will never forgive me for. I told him the book was great and it was exactly like a movie anyway, so surely it was a sure thing. Um, no.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #235 on: August 06, 2013, 10:56:20 pm »

I read Soon I Will Be Invincible but have also read several books in the genre and now mix them all up.

I just finished This Is How You Die. I think it nicely expanded on the first book with some new ideas.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #236 on: August 07, 2013, 03:06:32 am »

i loved the movie of john dies at the end, but i haven't read the book. i'm going to need a few things to read for my upcoming vacation, though, so maybe i'll pick that one up.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #237 on: August 07, 2013, 11:17:05 pm »

whaaaaaaat
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #238 on: August 08, 2013, 02:54:22 am »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #239 on: August 08, 2013, 05:20:41 pm »

mooooan guys can't you do that where I can't see you...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24   Go Up