Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 92636 times)

0 Members and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #270 on: January 02, 2014, 07:34:38 pm »

I just finished John Dies at the End yesterday.  I liked it, but I'm not sure I understood the end.

John died.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #271 on: January 03, 2014, 04:50:01 pm »

I originally read JDATE when it was out on his web site. I pretty much lost half a day at work because I could not stop reading it. When I figured out what was going on at the mall I laughed for like ten minutes.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #272 on: January 15, 2014, 01:06:31 am »

I had to take a break from reading Infinite Jest because the narrator (??) said that black people never have tattoos "for obvious reasons." What?? The black people I know have lots of tattoos. What.

A quick Google search suggests the narrator is not alone in assuming that.

Has anyone here tried to read IJ on a standard Kindle or other basic non-touchscreen e-reader? Or talked to anyone who has? I'm wondering if the endnotes would be too much of a hassle on an e-reader.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #273 on: January 15, 2014, 01:18:35 am »

I haven't read that book but I am always sorry when I buy a book for Kindle and find out that it has footnotes.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #274 on: January 15, 2014, 01:23:02 am »

I haven't read that book but I am always sorry when I buy a book for Kindle and find out that it has footnotes.

So it is a pain in the ass when there are footnotes, or have you not bothered with those books? I just got a Kindle and love it. I was looking forward to reading books on my list like IJ and Harlot's Ghost just because it's easier to handle and carry around, but going back and forth for notes seems like it could be a pain.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #275 on: January 15, 2014, 01:42:01 am »

Sometimes I buy books for the Kindle without knowing they have footnotes, and then yes, the footnotes are a pain. if I knew in advance that a book had footnotes I'd seriously consider getting it on paper. I would at least recommend trying something shorter with footnotes first to see how much it annoys you. Maybe just the Kindle sample of that book?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #276 on: January 15, 2014, 01:48:43 am »

A quick Google search suggests the narrator is not alone in assuming that.

Has anyone here tried to read IJ on a standard Kindle or other basic non-touchscreen e-reader? Or talked to anyone who has? I'm wondering if the endnotes would be too much of a hassle on an e-reader.

I read it on an e-reader app on my tiny little old phone.  I really liked how it handled footnotes -- it jumped you right back to where you left off, even with a footnote within a footnote within a footnote within a footnote.1



1. Within a footnotea
a. et cetera ad infinitum
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2014, 02:07:12 am »

On the phone you have a touchscreen, that's the difference. On the Kindle, getting back from the footnote is just as easy. The annoying part is getting TO the footnote in the first place without a touchscreen.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2014, 02:33:12 am »

My kindle (the Paperwhite) has a touchscreen. I am not having issues getting to/from the endnotes, except when surreptitiously reading on my phone at work. I click on the number and it thinks I am trying to turn the page. So I end up not reading a lot of the footnotes if I am on my phone.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #279 on: January 15, 2014, 02:52:14 am »

The Tech Staff has a Paperwhite that he won at a company party. I haven't even really looked at it, there is no point in making myself jealous.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #280 on: January 15, 2014, 02:53:57 am »

I have the 1st touch screen Kindle and at first it was really hard to convince it I was clicking the footnote and not turning the page. But one of the upgrades made it 500% better and I almost never turn the page accidentally now.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #281 on: January 15, 2014, 04:50:21 am »

I bought the most basic Kindle for $50 on sale, so no touchscreen. I'm sure it'd be nice but I love mine.

I'll try the sample to see how I like it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #282 on: January 15, 2014, 05:09:37 am »

Oh, we have a Kindle Fire, so that's a touchscreen.  But I didn't read IJ on it, so there's that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #283 on: January 15, 2014, 06:06:08 am »

A quick Google search suggests the narrator is not alone in assuming that.
None of those guys must be sports fans.  Tatted up guys of all shades are in abundance.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #284 on: January 15, 2014, 07:46:09 am »

None of those guys must be sports fans.  Tatted up guys of all shades are in abundance.

True. And I've only barely cracked Infinite Jest, but it seems like tennis is kind of a big deal? You don't see quite as many tattoos on that particular court, regardless of skin color.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24   Go Up