Virginia Woolf--
Mrs. Dalloway. Totally awesome. My friend recommended I check this out if I was interested in "modernism" but turned off by Faulkner. In this one I really could tell the purpose for the stream of consciousness and other techniques-- it really felt necessary to the story and her attempt to capture the world as it is. I finished it a few days ago and keep having moments where a passage comes back to me.
It had a lot of moments that reminded me of a line in
Kafka on the Shore that stuck with me. I can't find it (already returned the book to the library so I am working off of quotes I can find online), but it was definitely during the passage where he says
“That's why I like listening to Schubert while I'm driving. Like I said, it's because all his performances are imperfect. A dense, artistic kind of imperfection stimulates your consciousness, keeps you alert. If I listen to some utterly perfect performance of an utterly perfect piece while I'm driving, I might want to close my eyes and die right then and there. But listening to the D major, I can feel the limits of what humans are capable of - that a certain type of perfection can only be realized through a limitless accumulation of the imperfect. And personally I find that encouraging.”
but the quote is not related to imperfection. He says something like "I find as I get older that I have grown bored of exciting things, but I never get bored of boring things." This is the kind of line that feels a little... tautological maybe? Not quite the right word. It reminds me of those Andy Warhol quotes that Wombat doesn't like. But I think it captures something related to something that Woolf has Walsh say in
Mrs Dalloway, about how as he gets older he is no longer interested in "adventures," but perceives everyday life in a "richer" way that he couldn't when he was rushing around in his youth. I hope like hell that is true.
It is fitting to discover this idea in a book, because in the past year or so, since I started reading seriously again, I have felt a sense of deep optimism about life. The thought that for the rest of my life I can keep learning and reading, and that everything I read and learn will richen my experience the way my reading has over the past year, makes me feel very happy.
I think I have posted this exact chain of thought several times, including this caveat, so obviously I am getting older.
[[also, in Gormenghast I learned a usage of a word that I am absolutely in love with. Of course you might know that "ramifications" means the outcomes of an action, the many things contingent upon an event or choice-- but did you know that it can also be used for the outward "limbs" of anything that takes the form of a root? For instance, my grandfather's "ramifications" on the family tree, or in the case used in the book, "he knew well the major passages of the western wing of the castle, but not their ramifications." How fuck*ng perfect!]]
Now I am trying, again, to read Eric Hobsbawm's bajillion page history of the 19th century. It is so, so interesting, but I can't sit down and read it.