Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: san francisco  (Read 6567 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linear

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
  • Ah keep em cees lookin out
    • View Profile
    • This must be included if you specify a URL below.
Re: san francisco
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 05:28:10 pm »

I don't ask this to be snarky, but seriously?

Why stay?  If this is such a terrible society, why participate?

Whether or not I agree with you about the quality of this country, if you think there are better places to live, why wouldn't you go there?

well um.  If everyone did that, then no place anywhere would ever change or improve.  'Love it or leave it' is kind of a simplistic approach, isn't it?  Why didn't all those fuck*ng hippies protesting the war in 'Nam move to Canada or Mexico?  Wasn't Kent State enough of a hint for them? 

But hey, yeah, you're right buddy.  I'm being a little bit ridiculous, complaining about civil rights and all.  Obviously, the police should be able to hold you for 4 hours merely for the purpose of issuing you a misdemeanor citation or traffic ticket.  Hell, they should be allowed to hold you for 48 hours.  Or 48 days.  How fuck*ng ridiculous of me to think that I should be free to spend my time outside of police custody.  I'm a criminal after all.

Obviously, the cops aren't going to stop everyone who jaywalks and hold them for hours on end.  The cops are only going to do this to people who deserve it.  Who better to punish people with revocation of civil rights than the cops?  Eh!  Am I right?  Let's trust them to let the punishment fit the crime!  The only mistake the enforcers made at Kent state was that some of them fired into the air and ground.

Look at me, look at me, I'm frustrated and angry at the world, desperately seeking some kind of refuge from the constant attacks by my TV on my sense of normalcy and serenity, and I'm too fuck*ng stupid to turn off the TV, so I resort to vicariously reveling in the chauvinism of the Police State.  I'm the fuck*ng twit who would join or lead a lynch mob at a moment's notice
Quote

Of course, that raises the analogous question, If we're such assholes, why do you bother interacting with us?  Who gives a fuck what an asshole thinks?  Do you really want to be happy or do you enjoying complaining too much?


meow?  All I said was I don't think the cops should be able to hold you for hours on end for the purpose of issuing you a mere misdemeanor citation.  And then you all were like "you fuck*ng hippie commie I hope you die".   Still I don't hate you all.  I just think you're a little misguided.   
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: san francisco
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 06:29:44 pm »

I don't necessarily disagree with the substance of any of your complaints.  That's not my point. 

I guess it's an outlook thing.  Yes, humans suck.  We treat each other badly and those in power tend to act to consolidate and expand their power.  Human nature, I suppose.

But I also recognize that there are good things happening in life.  People create beautiful things.  People make deep and fulfilling connections with other people.  Life is not all bad.

Which brings me back to my point.  You get all upset and rant and rave about American society and how unfair the dang message board is and so on and so forth.  I feel like you are blind to the good parts of life, both as relates to the board and to the world at large.  It's almost as if you want to be unhappy.

Opening yourself to the positive side does not equal complacency.  Can't you let the tiny little, brutally suppressed folk singer out every once in a while, Pat?

If you spend all your time angry because things aren't better, aren't you blinding yourself to the good that does exist?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linear

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
  • Ah keep em cees lookin out
    • View Profile
    • This must be included if you specify a URL below.
Re: san francisco
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 07:25:42 pm »

yeah I probably am blinding myself to a lot of good.  I certainly do have internalized negativity in some layers of my subconsciousness... I'm starting to realize that.  Also, I think it's a matter of my tendencies towards a negative perspective being combined with a lack of awareness of social semantics that results in my written communication being a case study in negativity.  In person, my personality is much more attractive, subtle, and nuanced.  In person I don't exude negativity... it's more subtle and doesn't start to grate on you, at least not immediately.  When I read someone's expression in written form, I experience the substance of the person's expression much more than the person's personality or social cues as expressed in the writing.  When I write, I don't really have a personality, at least not on purpose.  I go straight to the substance.  My basic point generally being argued from a negative perspective, I therefore exhibit, in writing, a negative personality.  So maybe I should try to pay attention to my personality as expressed in writing?  Try to steer it towards being positive instead of negative?  Damn.  That sounds like a whole lot of work.  I'm not even sure how I would go about that. But I'll think about it.

-edit - by the way I uploaded pics from the mayday protests at
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:12:25 am by linear »
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: san francisco
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 07:50:59 pm »

oh you've got a personality when you write, that much is certain.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: san francisco
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 08:28:35 pm »

Quote from: R.A.H.
Only a sadistic scoundrel--or a fool--tells the bald truth on social occasions.
There's a corollary to the above maxim at work here.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linear

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
  • Ah keep em cees lookin out
    • View Profile
    • This must be included if you specify a URL below.
Re: san francisco
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 06:01:15 am »

There's a corollary to the above maxim at work here.

I'm a really smart troll, and I'm lying? 
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: san francisco
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 06:07:56 am »

Wow. Meta-lying.

Minus one can worth of meta-lying.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linear

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
  • Ah keep em cees lookin out
    • View Profile
    • This must be included if you specify a URL below.
Re: san francisco
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 07:12:22 am »

Wow. Meta-lying.

Minus one can worth of meta-lying.

Okay, this sounds so cool it totally makes up for the fact that I have no idea what's going on.

"Only a sadistic scoundrel--or a fool--tells the bald truth on social occasions."

nah.  Never say "only."  Seldom is stuff only.  Seldom is stuff either "or". Life is complex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VLS-P9m0BM
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: san francisco
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 02:30:54 pm »

What do you do for fun, Linear?

What is your favorite Achewood strip?

What sort of music do you listen to?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: san francisco
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 02:46:48 pm »

In person, my personality is much more attractive, subtle, and nuanced.  In person I don't exude negativity... it's more subtle and doesn't start to grate on you, at least not immediately.   

That's what my BFF thinks, too. She's wrong. Heaven knows I love her dearly, but she is so...very...very...wrong.

I'm not saying you're wrong, necessarily. I'm just saying...one isn't necessarily the best judge of one's effect on others.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linear

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
  • Ah keep em cees lookin out
    • View Profile
    • This must be included if you specify a URL below.
Re: san francisco
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 08:43:32 pm »

lol your bff is crazzzy? 

well what do I do for fun

well the usual you know I go to the modern art museum I study the foregin languages

when my hands is handcuffed I peel the self-adhesive serial number off the cuffs

when I'm in the max security institution I use a paperclip to remove the plexiglass from the windows  they don't believe it can be done with just a paperclip, but they don't really think about it either.

twenty five years and my life is still...

I try sometimes to make non-random connections in the random points that come across on the NPR channel, or even the tom green channel.  it all seems a little more random than not, or maybe that's just my perspcetion that is

I think about the linguistic structure of words and shapes and forms and sounds and sometimes it seems like I almost could understand it, and if I did understand it, wouldn't that be nice, because then I could create stuff like Bob Dylan, it would just roll off my tongue. 

George Bernard Shaw called him the greatest living dramatist ... Henrik Ibsen (1828-1906)   still can't speak the language well enough to read what he wrote, but even translated it's fantastic stuff.

called in sick to work today

called in to get an appointment with the HMO doctor to get a doctors note.  got many negative vibes from the bureaucrats who made my appointment for me.  had to make many phone calls.  wait to be called back.  everyone I talked to was stressed and curt.  resolved to change to a different HMO group.  hoping for better vibes from the next HMO bureaucracy.

-edit -- 

I called customer service, but, I got connected to billing.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:47:16 pm by linear »
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: san francisco
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 08:59:08 pm »

you bore me try to step it up i mean it's like you aren't even trying
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

linear

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
  • Ah keep em cees lookin out
    • View Profile
    • This must be included if you specify a URL below.
Re: san francisco
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 01:40:04 am »

well, should I be concerned that I bore you?  Were you going to give me ten dollars if you found me to be interesting?

So I gave free money to a couple different people on two occasions in the airport when these individuals asked me for free money. 

They might have just been making a profession out of asking for free money, in which case I'd rather not give them money, but I do want to give free money to random people who really need it.  Not being able to discern between the people who really do need a few bucks for a bus ticket, and the ones who don't, I realized that I prefer to err on the side of helping rather than not helping. 

and sorry to be negative, but with the way this country screws people over, you can be sure as fuck that some of the people who ask you for money really do need it.  And I figure, even if the person doesn't really need the money, I should at least be happy that someone gets a few easy bucks.  I'm sure the money will find it's way back into the economy.

Now there would be a fun Tom Green kind of skit... you beg for free money, and when you finally get it, you burn it in front of the person who gave it to you.  Of course, Tom Green couldn't do that, because destroying money is illegal in the U.S., and Tom Green is Canadian, and he always tried to avoid getting deported.  I suppose he could do that skit in Canada, but, I'm not sure it would be as funny with Canadians as with Americans.

speaking of screwing people over... how about them illegal immigrants... "thanks for working the shitty low paying jobs that American industry refuses to give to Americans... now get the fuck out!"  As if it's their fault that American industry is so corrupt.  Yes, let's focus on the exploited workers.  Let's blame them.


"A woman cannot be herself in the society of the present day, which is an exclusively masculine society, with laws framed by men and with a judicial system that judges feminine conduct from a masculine point of view."

-- HENRIK IBSEN, From Ibsen's Workshop

http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/english/melani/cs6/ibsen.html

Sorry if I bore you Choop.  Sorry for partyin'.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: san francisco
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 02:41:55 am »


speaking of screwing people over... how about them illegal immigrants... "thanks for working the shitty low paying jobs that American industry refuses to give to Americans... now get the fuck out!"  As if it's their fault that American industry is so corrupt.  Yes, let's focus on the exploited workers.  Let's blame them.


You were doing so well...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linear

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
  • Ah keep em cees lookin out
    • View Profile
    • This must be included if you specify a URL below.
Re: san francisco
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 03:24:59 am »

Yeah, give this guy enough rope and he'll shit the biscuit evertime.

You were doing so well...

I once gave a ride to this hitch hiker.  He was tattooed, had a big burlap back pack, basically the stereotype of a scary guy.  Nice fellow, intelligent, former contract soldier for the US military.  So when I dropped him off at a truck stop, as I walked past these people who were standing and staring, I was rather appalled at their chauvinistic comments about his demeanor and tattoos.

I might be something of an asshole in some ways, but I get the impression that you folks are caught up in some kind of delicate fantasy where the harshest sound to be heard is a slightly off key clink from the china as you sip your tea and speak obliquely in hushed and subdued tones about any subject or idea that isn't 100% puppy dogs and roses, whilst you enjoy the smell of your own emissions.

You guys try to be open minded, bless you, you do try, but give you enough rope and you'll lynch a n1gger every time.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up