Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: san francisco  (Read 6543 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: san francisco
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 04:00:52 am »

Classy.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: san francisco
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 04:20:38 am »

Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: san francisco
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 04:30:25 am »

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: san francisco
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 04:33:37 am »

I'm not quite following your logic.  How is it exactly that our using this internet message board as a place to have pleasant social interaction proves that we're racist murderers?

Apparently one is not enlightened unless one spends every minute of every day ranting about all the damn problems in the world and bemoaning all the unfair injustices.  Is the vein in my forehead throbbing hard enough?

I am sorry that I do not want to spend my life being angry.  I do not find it a pleasant way to spend time.  I also find that I have but little control over the vast amount of pain and injustice in the world.  I used to shake my fist at those terrible things, but no matter how hard I shook the bad things kept happening.  So I decided to act on a smaller scale.  I decided that I would try to make my life pleasant and try to help make the lives of those I interact with more pleasant as well.  Sorry.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: san francisco
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 05:11:37 am »

i'm with august. sorry for partyin'.

[insert pug picture here]
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

linear

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
  • Ah keep em cees lookin out
    • View Profile
    • This must be included if you specify a URL below.
Re: san francisco
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 07:11:16 am »

I'm not saying you're literally a racist murder I'm just using that as a figure of speech to imply a certain group think chauvinism. 

Hmm.  Well.  Anger... I dunno... It's a question of semantics I guess.  So by my saying f--- this and f--- that, you think I'm angry?  Well... I guess there is some anger... but not that much really.  Last time I was pissed... actually genuinely pissed at someone... hmm... probably that was the passenger in this car that pinned a cop.  I happened to be standing right there, so I jumped in the open window, climbed over the passenger and disabled the car, to prevent the car from running over the cop, as the driver was frantically intent on escaping.  I was pissed at the driver, but more pissed at the passenger.  The driver was obviously an idiot, and drunk, or something, but afterwards, I was thinking to myself, what the fuck was wrong with the passenger to just sit there and not do anything. 

So maybe that's an example of what you mean by a local scale -- yes, it is more personal, more real.  But the world out there is real too, and we should be engaged in it too.  We're lucky to live in a part of America where violence is relatively minimal and occasional and health care is kind of accessible.  I dunno... to just kind of zone out the outside world seems kind of... dangerously complacent.  The experience on the local level is as real as it gets, I'll grant you that.  What I see in this message board is a local community engaged in a conspiracy to bury it's collective consciousness in the sand.  Political discourse is, apparently, some kind of queer hobby like painting still lifes or trimming Bonsai trees, which is presumed to be of little interest to the overall social group.  I forget who it was who posted something on Howard Zinn's death, and there was pretty much no response from anyone on here.

Me, yeah, I come off as pissed, unhealthily so, maybe even positively ravingly insane at times, but this doesn't mean that discussing of world events has to channel the depths of darkness and loneliness of the human experience.  The fact that you zero in on this aspect of my dialogue says more, I think, about your perception of the world than it does of mine.  I guess I really do need to find a different group to hang out with, one in which one of my observations would trigger some dynamic and interested discourse, instead of this reaction of "man you're bringing me down just shutup and pass me a hit of obliviousness already."  I mean, if you don't discuss politics and religion with your friends, because it would be disruptive to your friendships, then you need to get a different set of friends, and/or maybe it's your friends who need to find a replacement for you, because if one is not engaged with the outside world, for all it's misery, then one is not fully alive.  If overall I was more negative than positive about the outside world, I wouldn't dwell on it, I'd turn inward and ignore it.  I am optimistic about the outside world, and however futile it might be, I see it as a fundamental meaning of life to try to do good in the outside world, and if one is to do this, one must be engaged with it and seek to understand it, through, among other things, discussion.

Logged

linear

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
  • Ah keep em cees lookin out
    • View Profile
    • This must be included if you specify a URL below.
Re: san francisco
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 07:12:45 am »

saving y'all the trouble:

I guess I really do need to find a different group to hang out with

[pug image]
don't let the door hit you on the way out
ya da ya da
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: san francisco
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 07:28:34 am »



« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:31:37 am by littlefallsmets »
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: san francisco
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 08:48:49 am »

I talk about politics and religion with my friends. But if I turned every damn conversation into "SO WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT RACE RELATIONS IN AMERICA TODAY," and called them racists when they didn't want to talk about it, I think they would do whatever the real life equivalent of pug pictures is.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: san francisco
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 01:59:24 pm »


whatever the real life equivalent of pug pictures is.

Wedgies. And the occasional indian burn.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: san francisco
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2010, 03:17:13 pm »

I get what you're saying, and you're correct.  I can only speak for myself, but I am a little complacent.  I'll admit it, and I'll admit that you've made me think about that fact a little bit.

But dude, you're like Johnny One-Note.  OK, we're complacent.  So's everybody else in the damn world.  It's human nature to be concerned with the details of our own existence.  There's also a time and place for everything and despite repeated assertions you won't accept that this isn't what we do here. 

Nobody likes being lectured to. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: san francisco
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2010, 03:18:12 pm »

I think they would do whatever the real life equivalent of pug pictures is.

Or, you know, punch you in the throat.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: san francisco
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2010, 03:20:49 pm »

linear have you tried joining the forums at somethingawful.com

i think it is a group of people where you might fit in.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: san francisco
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2010, 05:34:33 pm »

Quote from: theinevitable
I talk about politics and religion with my friends. But if I turned every damn conversation into "SO WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT RACE RELATIONS IN AMERICA TODAY," and called them racists when they didn't want to talk about it, I think they would do whatever the real life equivalent of pug pictures is.

Well, I mean, if they were opinions that you honestly held and were sharing them from a place of sincerity, the puggings would probably be held off at first.

It's when people "share" opinions endlessly and incoherently just to push buttons, regardless of whether or not they actually have those opinions, just to get reactions, that is The Lamest Thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: san francisco
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2010, 06:00:22 pm »

Well, I mean, if they were opinions that you honestly held and were sharing them from a place of sincerity, the puggings would probably be held off at first.

It's when people "share" opinions endlessly and incoherently just to push buttons, regardless of whether or not they actually have those opinions, just to get reactions, that is The Lamest Thing.

I don't question our friend's sincerity, just his social skills.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up