Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recent achewood and messageboard ethnology  (Read 3089 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

monkey punch

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18
    • View Profile
recent achewood and messageboard ethnology
« on: December 13, 2003, 03:54:02 am »

Allow me express my amazement at recent achewood strips: I'm amazed.  Rob't Johnson and Ray--together at last.

Now allow me to express something else.  Compare the following two discussion threads:

http://www.dumbrella.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=002048

http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=558

Again, I'm amazed.  Most know Achewood is peerless among webcomics.  But maybe some aren't yet aware that its messageboard (that is, this messageboard) is also without peer--or is at least an enormous step in the right direction, relative to what I've seen at dumbrella.

Nobody here puts others down on account of their being "N3\/\/BZ," as seems to have happened when I tried to offer something nice to wigu's board.  Nobody here (except me, occasionally; sorry asherdan) condemns other contributors so sneeringly.  Nobody here seems to prefer trashtalking to discussion of shared webcomic interests.  Quite the opposite, people here are thoughtful, articulate, and pleasant.

Achewood readers are not assholes.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
recent achewood and messageboard ethnology
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2003, 04:16:51 am »

Yeah, well, I've been too busy playing with my new notebook computer to have enough time to fully lay the smack down up in this piece.

BUT YOUR TIME OF MIRTH AND PLAY IS RUNNING OUT, HOOLIGANS

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: recent achewood and messageboard ethnology
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 05:30:44 am »

Quote from: "monkey punch"
people here are thoughtful, articulate, and pleasant.


Have we been reading the same board?  

I see your point, tho.  Dumbrella is not a happy place.  It's because they don't have a warm, maternal figure running the boards.   :wink:
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

monkey punch

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18
    • View Profile
recent achewood and messageboard ethnology
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2003, 05:39:26 am »

you're right, we probably aren't reading the same board.  that claim is based solely on the responses my check-out-these-cool-webpages thread received here.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
recent achewood and messageboard ethnology
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 05:49:04 am »

Quote from: "jough"
BUT YOUR TIME OF MIRTH AND PLAY IS RUNNING OUT, HOOLIGANS


Ohhh, shit. I do not have a point to save my life.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
recent achewood and messageboard ethnology
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2003, 06:25:23 am »

OMG THIS IS TOTALLY NOT ABOUT ACHEWOOD

PLEASE LOCK IT KTHX

... sorry about that. Somebody has to serve as a negative example, I suppose.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
recent achewood and messageboard ethnology
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2003, 07:27:21 pm »

Hey Jough, does this thread fall into the category of what you once so aptly called "Suckin' each others dicks?"

Just checkin'.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
recent achewood and messageboard ethnology
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2003, 07:51:08 pm »

I've often laughed at JL for spending so much time and attention on this board, but I have to admit, when I do pop by for a little lurking (or even a flurry of posting like this week), I am surprised by the comradery and imagination of the partici#####.  

I think it certainly helps that this is a relatively small group that gains and loses members slowly instead of experiencing the explosive growth of some other communities.

Anyway, whenever I feel like laughing at my wife for spending so much time on a perpetual text conversation about the scribblings of a madman, I come by and find myself drawn in as well.  Now I'm spoiled.  I can't read comments on the Penny-Arcade board or K5.  Heck I haven't read Slashdot comments in forever, but it's good to know there are small, funny, thoughtful communities around.

I think Jough, JL, and the other moderators have a lot to do with this.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
recent achewood and messageboard ethnology
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2003, 08:26:14 pm »

I have to say that this is the only messageboard where I haven't been filled with rage by others who post.  I've read annoying things here but usually these type of posts are countered by wit and sass that well makes up for it.  I think JL and Jough as our primary mods make it all so sun-shine and lolly pops.

*removes dentures, and licks lips*
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
recent achewood and messageboard ethnology
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2003, 02:23:47 am »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Now I'm spoiled.  I can't read comments on the Penny-Arcade board or K5.  Heck I haven't read Slashdot comments in forever, but its good to know their are small, funny, thoughtful communities around.


Ditto. I haven't read /. itself much recently either, although that's probably more down to me spending too much time on an MMORPG.
I never did spend any time reading the PA board, since there were just too damn many people there in the first place.
I've posted, well, about 100 times on the X2 forum, since some of the guys there are alright, but since it's release it's been flooded with new assholes.
But I really dig it here.
And I certainly second that JL and Jough made it what it is.
I mean, part of it is the others who came across straight from the old board. I think it was only those who fealt warm hearted enough to continue, and start afresh, and thus this place kind of started off on the best footing.
And it is so nice to not have an influx of new people all of a sudden. Which is why I can't help but be glad Onstad doesn't mention the place anywhere!

All my soppy, wet, drunken (or maybe not) christmas lovin' to you fine motha's.


Oh, although whoever is responsible for chaning th.ere to their... :woo:
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1]   Go Up