A nice family with a little chihuahua-pug mix drove a long way to meet the foster bug and he totally blew it. He wanted to play so bad that he terrified her. He also barked at the extremely tall dad. He does this sometimes at first but makes friends quickly, but dad was not willing to make an effort. Just a bad match all around, the little boys also didn't seem to like a dog that is jumpy when excited.
I hope this guy finds a home soon because I can deal with his other issues but I'm exhausted trying to keep him separate from the cats. And because with the last four rescue pug-things I've met at this point, I'm starting to feel like if I can't have my old dogs back maybe I don't want a dog at all. Or at least, that I really need to raise one up myself, but even then there are no guarantees. I didn't think what I wanted was so complicated - basically a dog who is OK with cats, other dogs, and humans, and can walk down a street or hang out with all of those things without having a fit. I thought that was just the basics and then I could find one that otherwise had the sort of personality I like. But none of the ones I have met have had the basics.
I guess a big part of the problem is that if you go to the bother of properly socializing a puppy, you're not the sort of person who's going to dump it in a shelter after all that work. Still I know I have met a lot of great rescue dogs and I am trying to remember that. But I'm tired, I have caught a cold AGAIN, and this dog is wearing me out.