Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 67   Go Down

Author Topic: Aminals  (Read 134609 times)

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 635
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Aminals
« Reply #915 on: June 20, 2017, 11:15:51 pm »

Dogs can definitely grow up to be racist about people - race or any category they haven't seen enough of to think is normal - but I don't know about other dogs. I sometimes thought Lilly was racist towards Rottweliers but we didn't see enough of them for me to be positive about it.
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 768
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: June 21, 2017, 02:56:58 pm »

Dogs can definitely grow up to be racist about people - race or any category they haven't seen enough of to think is normal - but I don't know about other dogs. I sometimes thought Lilly was racist towards Rottweliers but we didn't see enough of them for me to be positive about it.

I thought dogs taking subtle cues from their owners was what caused them to be racist against humans. 
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: June 21, 2017, 03:26:32 pm »

It reminds me of an NFL receiver trying to get off the line of scrimmage while a DB tries to jam him up and disrupt his pattern. It's making for good sport.

My money is on the Cattle Dhog because I'm guessing he's brainier.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: June 21, 2017, 07:45:40 pm »

I thought dogs taking subtle cues from their owners was what caused them to be racist against humans.

I'm sure it's possible for dogs to also pick up on their owner's fear and discomfort with certain kinds of people. But Momo reacted differently to black men until I worked with her specifically on that and she wasn't getting it from me. It was just another of the things she was anxious about because she'd never left the house for the first nine months of her life - like cars driving by, and umbrellas, and children, and people walking quickly.... The vast majority of what dogs are afraid of is stuff that is unfamiliar to them. That's why modern puppy training puts a huge emphasis on exposing a puppy to all kinds of situations and things and people at the right developmental stage. When I used to teach Puppy Kindergarten we'd bring weird objects to class, have them walk on unusual surfaces, and have people come in walking funny in weird hats and clothes and such. You can never guess what odd detail a dog is going to pick up on and decide is a problem so you just throw everything at them that you can think of. She didn't have any of that, so she was a hot mess  and it took a huge amount of work to get her to the point she is now, which is just horribly dog reactive.

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: June 21, 2017, 08:12:29 pm »

They really don't which is why it's so important to have exposure at the right stage. Momo is a lot better now only because I have very specific technical training skills and experience that I was able to apply along with very good and specialized professional help. And also because I never let my guard down - every walk with her is still a training session. I expect that she would revert very quickly in someone else's hands.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: June 22, 2017, 06:41:14 pm »

Sometimes I have half a mind to turn off the filter that is messing the hell out of that link.

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: June 22, 2017, 07:32:56 pm »

I've been taking Oakie out for a ride at 05:30 because of murder heat avoidance. I forgot, there's something about being all fresh and hungry that makes a hoss triple-extra spunky. The barrel headed donkey has been acting like he's 10 again, it's making for fun rides with a dash of OH SHITS THIS IS IT! sprinkled on top.

ALSO: I'm shopping

You really should come check out hoss country sometime.

Carlos del Vaca

• The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Homosexuals the Gorilla
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1312
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
« Reply #922 on: June 23, 2017, 01:13:53 pm »

You really should come check out hoss country sometime.

TOUAMB meetup in Kentucky! hosss! Bourbon!
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: June 23, 2017, 02:39:47 pm »

Absolutely!

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: June 23, 2017, 04:52:26 pm »

Again?!

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: June 23, 2017, 05:38:35 pm »

Yeah, I had a meeting with Lexmark on the north side of that damn silly ring highway.

Ah Lexington.  They built that highway (New Circle Road) in the early 60s, but screwed up by only making the southern half of it limited access.  It's caused horrible traffic problems to this day.  Then in the late 80s, Lexington had grown enough that they need to build another bypass around the city.  So heeding the lessons of history, they made this one limited access thus alleviating much of the city's horrible congestion.  No wait.  That's the opposite of what happened.  They made the same idiotic mistake again.

I think maybe you should adopt/borrow 20 more dogs, train 'em for a while and you can run full scrimmages.

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 606
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 26, 2017, 06:44:29 pm »

I think maybe you should adopt/borrow 20 more dogs, train 'em for a while and you can run full scrimmages.

Yes, yes, I am completely loving the football analogies. So, what breeds would be best suited for the different positions?

Let's see, for QB you gotta go with the Border Collie because they are the smartest. Wide Receiver, that's where you need speed, so greyhound. Of course Ash, we'd have your cattle dog playing safety. English Bulldog on the O-Line?
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

• VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: July 06, 2017, 05:34:07 pm »

That moose is not even trying.  During a 1999 trip to Yellowstone, one of them got tired of the crowd of onlookers cramping his style in a meadow.  He was about 100 yards off the road.  I was about 20 yards off the road.  I noticed he was getting perturbed (he'd stopped eating and had fixed a beady eye on us), and looked for an exit route just in case.  When I looked back I saw him take off towards us.  I pretty much teleported myself onto the top of a piece of road construction equipment that was parked on the shoulder.  In the time it took me to cover 20 yards, he covered about 80 - and for a human I'm not slow.   All the other scattering people probably slowed him some too as he tried to figure out who to toss.  In the end, he seemed satisfied with the results and walked off.  I waited till he was out of sight before getting down from the grader/loader thing.
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 12, 2017, 03:49:19 pm »

Ugh. I'll try to be thankful next time Momo eats rabbit poop that that's the worst she can get at.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 13, 2017, 03:49:54 pm »

More hosss!

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 67   Go Up