In my old house, I had abut the same amount of space (maybe a little less) and I managed to have an aloe plant and a little tray of chives for a while. I chucked the aloe plant when it threatened to take over my kitchen sink.
So, if I wanted to grow this stuff on the back deck or patio, would they survive all winter? If I have just a few pots I could bring them in to the laundry room for the winter, but they wouldn't get any sun there.
I literally know virtually nothing about plants, do not be afraid to treat me like an idiot here.
-----
Woah, simulposts!
Wombles, I am hesitant to put stuff in the ground here because my yard is a mess. The previous owners let it go terribly, and we've been concerned with getting the inside habitable, so we haven't been able to fix everything that's wrong with it yet. It was so neglected for so long that poison ivy and poison oak that had overtaken the whole backyard. It took us 6 months to get things to the point where the kids could play outside. When we moved in last august, we still had the previous autumn's leaves on the ground, that's how neglected the yard was.
The front yard is so shady we were told by a landscape guy that we would have a hard time even getting grass to grow, unless we feel like chopping down two beautiful old growth oak trees. Right now we just have a bunch of moss and clover. Also, my kids play in the backyard, and there is no way I could keep them from tromping all over it anything I might plant there. And the dirt is hard clay, not great for growing things in. I would have to buy dirt to mix with the dirt I already own if I wanted anything to grow, so I figure if I'm going to pay for dirt I may as well put it in pots. But again, I know almost nothing, so I could be completely wrong about all of this.
We do have a spot in the front yard that already has some flowering bushes and stuff that was probably put there by the guy who flipped the house before the previous owners bought it in '93. It's kind of shaggy looking and I guess I could dig up some of that and put an herb garden next to the front walk. But honestly, the idea of messing around with the front garden terrifies me. Also, it seems like that area should be dedicated to decorative plants.
I should post pictures, shouldn't I? You would be shocked and amazed at the disaster that is my yard.
Carlos, that sounds wonderful, but waaay to ambitious for me and my black thumbs. I have killed cactus, I am not kidding about being clueless. I do know the basic mechanics from helping my grandmother plant annuals from seedlings when I was a kid, but the part of the process that requires you to make decisions is completely new to me.