Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Indoor herb garden  (Read 24275 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 05:01:09 pm »

If you're planting basil in a pot, it will grow well if you fertilize it with your murdered lover's head.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 05:20:18 pm »

Damn, I go off to lunch for one hour and you guys hold a whole gardening thread without me?

Throw 'em in the ground.  Find a sunny spot, dig it up as much as reasonably possible and stick the plants in there.  Water when it get dry.    Maybe throw some Miracle-Gro on there.  Bingo, you're an amateur botanist.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 05:25:18 pm »

I'd skip the Miracle Gro for herbs, again on the theory that they are tastier if they lead a tough life. Like the rest of us, really.

I have no experience on which to base an opinion on the efficacy of the murdered lover's head, though, because that's the sort of thing that falls into the category of more work than I am going to do for a damn plant.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 05:35:42 pm »

If you're planting basil in a pot, it will grow well if you fertilize it with your murdered lover's head.


I have no experience on which to base an opinion on the efficacy of the murdered lover's head, though, because that's the sort of thing that falls into the category of more work than I am going to do for a damn plant.


I love you both so much.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 06:54:31 pm »

I am not, however, advocating you go get a drum of hossshit. That was a lot of work.

That is not something you need to worry about.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 07:10:47 pm »

how dare you mix your peas and corn and pasta together

i have no idea what's for lunch today, i eagerly await the missus's return with foodstuffs.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 07:13:19 pm »

I had a little macaroni with peas and corn mixed in and 2 oz. of chunked up spam in a bowl with a liter of tap water.
Is that your lunch, or the dog's?  Also, who eats lunch at 10am?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 07:14:24 pm »

I burned my omelet because I was embroiled in reading replies to this thread, and ended up scarfing a Balance Bar while driving my son to afternoon preschool.
 :-[
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 07:15:34 pm »

SIXTEEN INCHES
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 07:40:48 pm »

A couple bean burritos from Taco John's.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 07:45:16 pm »

Oh yeah, I guess I should eat lunch.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 07:56:57 pm »

Our window-box is like some fragrant gladiatorial arena.

The basil fell fast - it couldn't take the harsh British winter and it gave up.

The mint died back, but it was feigning - while the coriander and the oregano fought it out, it was spreading its roots under the soil, watching and waiting. Now it's springing forth from six different strike points, and it means to throttle all that's in its way.

The coriander has been too kind, too caring. It has sat there, growing, responsible, careful. In a pot of its own it would be thriving. But the others have taken advantage, and instead it withers as the other herbs gradually harangue it into submission.

The oregano is just fuck*ng crazy. One minute it's on its arse, the next it springs up like a delicious jack-in-the-box. Don't mess with the oregano. It could turn at any time.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 08:14:36 pm »

Funny you say that about oregano. I planted oregano a few years ago in the garden, then discovered, I really don't need fresh oregano. But it's expanding like mad (of course when half the plants I really want drop dead from either the heat or the winter). And yet, I am kind of afraid to pull it up.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 08:20:15 pm »

Yeah, I just don't know what I'd do with a bunch of fresh oregano.

I'm going to start with basil by the front walk and see what happens with that. Maybe as soon as this weekend.

Is it a bad idea to go on vacation three weeks after planting seedlings outdoors? Or will they survive for a week without me, even if it doesn't rain?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 08:59:09 pm »

oregano + basil + thyme + tomatoes + garlic + onions + salt + pepper + olive oil + balsamic = pasta sauce. get a bunch of tomatoes and jars and you can be set for the winter.

also try oregano on a bagel with schmear. a pizza ain't a pizza without oregano. plus when times get tough you can call it weed and sell it to morons.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up